'93 640 Tigershark Driveshaft/Bearing Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '93 640 Tigershark Driveshaft/Bearing Removal

I recently pick up a '93 Tigershark 640 that had a failed block pillow/beraing and bent driveshaft. I initially picked up the ski for the engine as a back up for my '94, but I am now looking to get the '93 water ready. My question is regarding the removal of the driveshart and bearing replacment in the pump. The '94 service manual shows the replacment of the driveshaft and bearing with the pump assembly in the hull, but after speaking with a local Artic Cat dealer, I was told that I need to remove the entire pump assembly from the hull to replace the drive shaft and bearings. I was curious if anyone has had experience performing this operation. I currently have the nozzle, wear ring and impeller removed and starting to removal of the rear inner and outer pump seals. The service manual calls for a seal puller Part # 0644-072, I have a standard oil seal puller but due to the tight clearence issues will not fit in this area. Is this a special seal puller of some type? There is also a note in the service manual about tapping a small hole in the seal and inserting a screw, thus using pliers to remover the seal. I have done this and have gotten pretty rough trying to remove the seal, but stopped due to not wanting to cause damage to the seal housing. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, due to the failure of the driveshaft, I am looking for the engine coupler and the driveshaft coupler (threaded couplers) if anyone has some used parts let me know. Also, are there any cheaper places to pick up bearings for the pump other than Artic Cat?

Thanks!

Re: '93 640 Tigershark Driveshaft/Bearing Removal

hey man i just got done doing the same job on a 94 tiger. i used a screw to get the old seal out, but i used a slide hammer instead of a plyer. once i got the seals out there was a snap ring on the housing inside the hull and on the impeller side. remove the snap ring and beat the bearing out with the drive shaft. use a driver kit to reinstall the new hardware. be sure to grease the new seals. as far as getting cheap parts good luck cats are spendy. for bearings i would try "US bearings and drives" or "parts unlimited". good luck

Comment

Re: '93 640 Tigershark Driveshaft/Bearing Removal

Correct there is a special tool that is a long rod with a slide hammer to push out and install the new bearings and seals. I have one and it does work well for the job. You could get a long rod and use it to tap out the front bearings and seals from the rear of the ski. Make sure to remove the snap ring first. Now when you go to put the bearing in you will need to use a long rod with a cooler and nut at the bearing end and a way to use a slide hammer at the other end. Now you can pull in the new bearing from the rear of the ski. The rear bearings are much easier then the front and you can use normal tools for them. Some bearings can be purchased at NAPA but you will need the numbers off the old bearings to get the correct ones.
      Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Working...
      X