01 1100 DI Starting problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 01 1100 DI Starting problems

I have a 01 DI that broke up last summer :emotredf . I rebuild the engine with new pistons, gaskets, ring, etc. I also sent the crankshaft to rebuild.

I mounted everything back to the jet ski but when I tried to start the new engine, nothing happens. I check the fuel pump, injectors, spark plugs, everything. So I decide to purchase the Kadiag software. I was able to read the codes, so since engine was rebuild, I reset the previous values to make sure everything was clear.

I tried to restart the engine again, and this time sounds like it's a timing issue. I got backfiring. I reconnect the computer again, but no codes are available that can help me determine the problem.

Any idea? Could be the crankshaft? I will appreciate any help. :emoticonb
    Last edited by cacopr; 01-26-2006, 12:41 PM.

Re: 01 1100 DI Starting problems

Did you diagose and repair the original problem before you rebuilt and replaced the engine? If not, the original condition may still exist and end up destroying your new engine, as well. What code(s) were stored?
    2001 Kawasaki STX1100 DI (w/GroupK Stage 1)<br />1997 Sea-Doo GSX<br />2004 Kawasaki SX-R

Comment

Hi Glen;

Thanks for replying to my message. Unfortunately, I got the Kadiag software after the engine was rebuild. We basically replaced everything. Pistons, rings, gaskets, crankshaft, crankcase bottom-end. We cleared all the codes, to start from zero. I wrote all the previous codes, but I don't have them with me right now. But yesterday, we were checking everything again and just after one backfire, we got Code 16 recorded, which is the CP sensor. We are going to be dismounting the stator cover today and see if there is something wrong there.

Any idea?

Comment

You have 50/50 shot with a code 16. If you replace the CPS and it doesn't fix it, it could be the EMM. To check the CPS, disconnect the cable and check the resistance of the device. It should be 430 +/- 30 ohms. The CPS reads the ribs on the flywheel and sends the data to the EMM which uses it to time the injectors and operate the ignition. I replaced a bad one awhile back and I noticed they changed the design from 2001. Mine would start, but then just die shortly after. Post your codes, when you find them. Did you install the woodruff key on the crankshaft before installing the flywheel?
        2001 Kawasaki STX1100 DI (w/GroupK Stage 1)<br />1997 Sea-Doo GSX<br />2004 Kawasaki SX-R

Comment

We revised the resistance and it's within that range but sometimes when I have the computer connected to the EMM, I got some errors saying that communication was lost. Could be the EMM?

Regarding the woodruff, when we initially started the engine, the first one was broken, so we replace it with a new one. But I don't know if the person that mount the engine aligned the marks on the flywheel again. At least we turned the engine manually and noticed that the flywheel is moving, which means the new woodruff is in place, but that doesn't mean is in timing. Could that be also a reason for the backfiring?

Regarding the previous codes, I found:

16 - CPS
          25 - EMM tempeture
          35 - Low oil level
          39 - Fuel pump operation
          43 - Water tempeture
          49 - Air tempeture
          Last edited by cacopr; 01-31-2006, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X