2001 1100 STX DI Quits running again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 1100 STX DI Quits running again

I was out riding and the engine starting sputtering again. I made it back to the dock.
    I checked it on the Kadiag. It gave me a code 17.
    I have checked the alternator voltage and it is within range.
    I am beginning to think that it could be the EMM.
    It seems to run fine the first 2/3 of a tank of gas. Then after that it seems to start sputtering and stop running.
    Any suggestions?

Re: 2001 1100 STX DI Quits running again

Since this sounds intermittent, you've got a 50/50 chance using the shotgun approach. Either route is going to be expensive (EMM vs. stator). Is it possible to test the stator 12 & 45V outputs when it goes into the failure mode?
    Also, did you perform the charging coil resistance test specified in the manual? This is the key test to determine a low charging voltage condition (code 17). The manual also notes that the flywheel magnets can weaken and contribute to charging problems.
    2001 Kawasaki STX1100 DI (w/GroupK Stage 1)<br />1997 Sea-Doo GSX<br />2004 Kawasaki SX-R

Comment

No, I have not checked the charging coil. The only way I think I have checked the charging coil is when I was checking the EMM with the volt tester. I also had it hooked up to the Kadiag, and when it was running it showed the 45 volts.

Comment

I pulled the inspection plug by the stator cover. I put my finger in and wipe it around the case. My finger had what appeared to be oily bilge on the case. Should there be any moister or oily film in that area?

Comment

Craig, The stator cover is water cooled by a cover which surrounds the oil pump. There is a rubber gasket in the center to prevent water from getting into the mag housing. If you've noticed moisture and oil that could be a problem. Also didn't you mention that your ski sunk, when the driveline carrier bearing failed? I would pull it apart and inspect it to be sure. You can also inspect the stator at the same time for corrosion.
          2001 Kawasaki STX1100 DI (w/GroupK Stage 1)<br />1997 Sea-Doo GSX<br />2004 Kawasaki SX-R

Comment

Working...
          X