Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 seadoo sp won't start

Hi,

I just bought a 1995 seadoo sp from a lady today, she said all it needed was a tune up... yea right. Anyways, I charged the battery and tried starting it, but there is a lot of really loud clicking going on under the stator plate, I can feel the vibration really strong there. The aft flywheel will do a 1/8 turn every once in a while but that is it. When I turn the aft flywheel the rubber boot on the drive shaft wants to turn with it, I greased the shaft bearing, and the aft flywheel will turn a little easier. Any suggestions on what the loud clicking noise behind the stator plate is when I try to crank it?

Thanks, Brian.

Re: 1995 seadoo sp won't start

check to make sure your battery is good,and your not just charging a bad battery. pull front cover to check the condition of your ring gear teeth and starter. was there water behind the cover and lots of rust. engine should turn over freely with plugs out with one hand on flywheel and one on pto. if not pull pump and driveshaft,if still bound up ouch. let us know what you find. good luck.

Comment

Does it turn a full 360 degrees when you try to turn the pto by hand? Or is the driveshaft bearing and rubber hose still trying to turn with the driveshaft?

If so, then the driveshaft bearing is rusted and stuck to the driveshaft and the clicking noise is probably just the starter drive engaging into the flywheel gear.
      Bill O'Neal <br>
      WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

I tried taking the stator plate off, but two bolts broke. I'll tap them out, and see whats going on tomorrow night.

Thanks again bill and frisbee. You two are great help, i'll check back tomorrow

Comment

You never answered my questions.
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM

Comment

If you try turning the pto, the driveshaft bearing and the rubber hose try turning with it. But if I hold on to the bearing with a wrench I can turn the pto and the shaft will turn in the bearing, but it is tough. I haven't tried to turn it 360 degrees. I am going to take the engine out to get to the bolts I need to tap out of the stator plate. The motor is very clean looking, and the paint is still on all the bolts and the pto shaft, I don't think anything has been worked on before.

Comment

Replace the bearing and two seals in that bearing carrier as your is rusty. You can buy that whole thing assembled from me or SBT.
              Bill O'Neal <br>
              WCM

Comment

hi Brian.:emoticonw good to hear of your progress. im still a little courious though. your origional post talked about really loud clicking and a really strong vibration while engaging starter, and engine would turn over 1/8 turn once in a while.if it was me i would still check the condition of the ring gear,they get badly worn as the engine seems to stop in the same spot often.some people take the ring gear off and reinstall it in a diff position making a fresh spot for the bendix gear to mesh into. i usually take the gear off grind a champher on the teeth of the ring gear.on the back side of the gear and reinstall. or you can buy a new gear for 100 plus bucks and reinstall. being a 95 and not knowing the history i would also disassemble the starter for at least a cleaning,relubricate bushings,and new brushes.i think the last ones i bought were about 20 bucks.a lot cheaper then a new starter,and more convenient to do it now then in the middle of the summer. especially if your thinking of pulling the engine anyway. and service your jet pump oil while you are doing your driveshaft work. your manual should help out lots. i know some people tell me, why fix it if its not broke.well when Im working for myself labor is cheap,and when i do it at home at my pace its relaxing. I dont enjoy downtime during the summer. good luck with whatever you decide.:emoticont kevin.

Comment

Working...
                X