Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 xp Carb Help

Hi,

I'm back for more of your expert advice. After this doo, I think I'll stick to PC's. I have 93 seadoo XP. I just finished installing a new sbt motor in it. While I had the ski apart, I decided to rebuild the carbs. In the process I discovered the needle valves had rings around them, so I replaced them with new ones (2.0) 's I bolted the carbs down after the rebuild, but when I went to test the engine, it would not fire. After several attempts I decided to remove the plugs, which were also new. and check them. They seemed rather wet, so I hit the starter and to my surprise a LARGE amount of fuel came out of the cylinders. "Ok", "It's flooded" I thought, so I hit the starter once more and the cylinders were dry this time, so I reinstalled the plugs and tried again. Same thing. After further investigation I saw that the carbs are basicly just dumping fuel non stop in great excess. I called a friend who said he thought you had to "Condition" the needles or something so they would seat correctly. In any case they must not be sitting at all hardly to flood the carbs and the engine like that.

When I rebuilt the carbs, I used the original springs in order to maintain the correct pressure, and I did not adjust any screws or jets. What so you suggest?

I am thinking new carbs and go on, but this must be something simple I am missing. Is there anything special you have to do when changing the needles? and does the 93 xp in fact need 2.0's or 1.5's The originals said 2.0 but the mechanic thought they should be 1.5's I used 2.0's in the rebuild
    thanks
    See you on the water!

Re: 1993 xp Carb Help

What you should have done was also check your pop-off pressure, which is for whatever reason, now very low. Did you also replace the seats with those new needles? If you don't have a gauge, take the carbs up to a local shop to have them test pop-off and replace what's needed.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

It is very easy to make a mistake installing the needles and seats and the lever and spring. Go back and check your work. Also, make sure the diaphrams are not holding the lever down that lifts the needles. That is why we test carbs using a pop off tester.
      Bill O'Neal <br>
      WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Thanks Guys,

I'll look over everything once more. Where can I buy a pop off tester. They have generic vacuum pump at the auto parts store that says it can be used for carb ajustments. Will this work? and then how do I actually test and adjust the carb?

Phil
        See you on the water!

Comment

Go to the tech article section and read the one on pop-off...
          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Any accurate air pump with a guage will work, or you could buy one from me for $55.00
            Bill O'Neal <br>
            WCM
            <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Thanks for everything guys,

I wanted to close this out by letting you know what happened. I went back and checked my work and decided to use the original levers instead of the new ones from the kit. This time...Success.... the engine fired off immidiately. Thanks for the great advice.
              See you on the water!

Comment

Working...
              X