Starting Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Issues

I just got a used Sea Doo Challenger that won't start. I get the double beep when inserting the starting lanyard. The battery is new and charged. When I push the start button, the starter tries to turn the engine but can not. I pulled the spark plugs and tried again. The engine will spin freely with the plugs out and oil sprays out of only the rear cylinder. Shouldn't I see oil coming from both cylinders? I installed a compression guage into the front cylinder and it had 150psi. When I moved the guage to the rear cylinder, the starter wouldn't turn the engine again. What steps should I take to fix the problem(s)? Thanks.

Re: Starting Issues

Your inner crank seal on the rear cylinder has breached. You need to pull the engine, tear it down and at least replace the crank.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. You referred to "at least" replacing the crank. If I were to do the job right, what else would need to be repaired/replaced? If this engine needs to be pulled from the hull, are there any special tools that are needed? What would be an estimated amount to perform a complete repair?

Comment

I can't guess what else is needed (if anything), you need to tear it down for inspection. Your top-end may be fine. Click on Technical at the bottom and read the Install Guide for complete procedures.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
        X