Spark and fuel, engine will not start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark and fuel, engine will not start

Wife was out yesterday, ski died. Said she was going about 30-35mph, engine seemed to start bogging, gave it some gas died. She said on the restart, the motor made a strange sound from the left side, it did start back up and then died. She went thru this about 5 times before making it back to the beach.
    I have check comp. in all 3 cly. which is at 110psi. Charged battery, changed plugs, even tried some stater fluid and nothing. Engine will spin over fine but does make some noise with the plugs in, like somethings clangin (sp). With plugs out spins fast and no funny sounds. I'm total lost now. This motor has about 4-5 hour on it. Thanks for any help.

What ski and what happened to the last motor??
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

If it's a 1100 sounds like you lost a connecting rod bearing bottom. If its a SBT call for warranty if not well than your lucky no damage to top end, you need to pull the head off. Than check a piston for play, the one with play is the culprit. I bet it will be in the bottom bearing not the top. I see your in GA where? i have a good friend mech out in Atl. [img]/graemlins/winkanim.gif[/img]

[ June 29, 2003, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: torquenut ]

Comment

Sorry, it's a 99 XL1200ltd, droped #3 PV.

Your freind lives about 11/2 hours north from me.

[ June 29, 2003, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: JHisaw ]

Comment

Well he doesnt live in Atl more like douglasville/carrolton area. So did it do any damage?

Comment

Torquenut, make that about 21/2hours now. The PV drop on the other motor. I'm still trying to find out somethings to check out on this one. Someone asked about timing, but not sure wat they ment on other site.

Comment

torquenut is a good guy hay if you read this tor i got the raider started finaly now for this guy like he said it does sound like the bottem end of motor and the reason for the diff in sound when plugs are out the presure is going out the top where the plugs should be with plugs in place you are building presure in the cylinder walls and that is the differnce what you need to look for play from side to side or if you can push piston down and the other s do not move then that is problem

Comment

Took head off, when I went to remove exhust- turn motor to carb side, water, oil, and gas came out. It mostly came from the #2 cly, if that could mean anything. Pist, and everything turns, just would not start up.

Comment

Obviously water made it's way in, I would check the head gasket, exhaust manifold and gaskets, pipe near the flange, and ask her exactly what she was doing when it died. Was there water in the hull?

Comment

She was riding the ski. The holes on the middle jug was reteaded and heli-coil (top right) and was not done right. The exhust main. will not slide on with the studs in place. Must pu that stud in last and can not tighten all the way up, due to not treaded in right spot. Not sure what you mean about the pipe near the flange? No water in hull. Thanks.

Comment

Well you just found your water leak. The exhaust manifold is a CRITICAL fit and WILL leak water if not on correctly.

Comment

How would this have a effect on the comp of other cly. and the ski not starting on the other two?

Comment

If you have water in the engine, it will not compress and it is VERY hard to start the engine even with two other good cylinders. It will raise the compression reading on the cylinder with water.

[ July 03, 2003, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: Technical Support ]

Comment

All three are the same @ 110. Arron said these number should be around 125.

Comment

Most likely your gauge is off or you are simply using the wrong adaptor. You need a 3/4" reach.

Comment

Working...
                              X