Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Engine Water Locked!!

HI SBT,
    This is my second 787 engine from SBT and my third 787 engine I replaced in different skis. I recently bought a 96 xp that had water sitting in the engine for +6 months. I replaced it with a SBT engine. Everything went smooth. About 7 hours after the break in, I let a couple friends of mine borrow the ski. After thay flipped the ski a couple times they got water in the engine, but didn't know what to do. When they dropped it off to my house after the weekend, they told me about it. I had water in an engine before but I just couldn't seem to get the water out completely and couldn't get it to start. I watch the tech article about getting the water out of the engine, and with out thinking much because I was frustrated, I flipped over the ski and turned the engine over a couple of times like the video showed. About a minute later I realized i shouldn't of done that with this engine because no oil was getting to the brass gear for the rotary valve. And next I saw little specs of glitter in the grayish oil that was shooting out from the cylinders.

Sorry for the long story. My question is do I need a new engine and is that covered under the "No Fault" warranty?

Thanks,
    Robert Chouinard

Re: New Engine Water Locked!!

Yes, and Yes. Please call in to warranty. 877 330 0231
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

There is no way brass can get from the RV gear into the clyinders.. NADA !
      Bill O'Neal <br>
      WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

I'm sure he's talking about the exhaust side oil bath line, most people think that's going to the cylinders.

Comment

Maybe I'm mistaken. I'm thinking the oil bath is where the crank sits. But I do mean the Oil Shooting out of the cylinders. It has what looks like glitter in it. Also if the oil bath is sealed from the crank, what is the grayish stuff shooting out of the pistons? I thought it was a mixure of oil and water. I'm just trying to understand this a little better so if it happens again I can make sure it's done right. I'm going to drain some oil from the return line of the oil bath and see if there is any brass in there. If I don't need a new engine, i would rather not have SBT rebuild a good engine and waste there time and money.

Also would it damage the brass gear if the engine is upside down and cranked a couple of times?

I'll repost tomorrow, and call SBT Monday.

Thanks
          Rob

Comment

OK then you have me somewhat confused. Can you please post picures of exactly what you're looking at?

Comment

Sorry for the confusion. I got it running today.

Short:
              • Water got in engine and sat for about two days
              • Cranked it (with plugs out) till what seemed like no water left.
              • Put about an ounce of oil in each cylinder
              • Cranked it to get excess oil out.
              • Put one plug in and it won't crank. Still water locked.
              • Repeated the process about 3 times.
              • Watched the tech video of how to get water out of engine.
              • Turned the ski up side down (like video) and cranked it till what seemed like no more water.
              • Turned the ski right side up and cranked it a couple more times. The little that came out had what looked like glitter in it. I thought it was the brass gear because no oil was being fed to the oil bath upside down while cranking. Later I figured out the oil bath is separated from the cylinders and the glitter must have been from the Anti-Seize lube. The ski still won't crank with one or two plugs in.
              • I checked the return oil coming out of the oil bath and it looked free of any brass or "Glitter".
              • Turned the machine upside down again. Cranked it a couple times again.
              • Turned it right side up and finally it will crank with one or two plugs in. Used some starting fluid and dry plugs and got it running.
              Battery was fully charged also.

Will I still need a new engine? The brass gear is fine but water has sat in the engine for about two days.

Again, apologies for the confusion.

Comment

Well, it's certainly not good as new - but if it runs now, it's up to you if you want to exchange it again, assuming you are still under warranty.

Comment

Working...
                X