This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 GSX Starting problem

I have attached my first post below, but in short, I installed a new starter and I am still getting the same problem. All of the cables seem good. I have tried everything, even jumping directly to the starter, but it still won't turn over with the plugs in. It turns over fine with the plugs out. As stated below, this is a new SBT engine. HELP!!!

I just installed a new SBT engine in my 97 GSX. Everything went fine until I tried to start it. It acted like the battery was low, even though I freshly charged a brand new battery before install. I charged it some more and had the same problem. I even jumped to another battery to have two in place for extra power. When I crank, it sounds like it wants to turn over, but can't. It's like the compression is keeping it from turning. It sounds like it is trying to turn over about every 1/2 second. When I remove the spark plugs, it turns just fine. I have jumped across the starter relay and had the same problem. I just cleaned the battery terminal and the starter post..... same problem. I also added a second ground cable and.... you know the story.

It appears to be a bad starter, but I wanted to hear if anyone else had a similar problem before I spring for a new starter (on top of the new engine). Is there something that I could have done wrong during the install that would result in these symptoms?

Thanks!

Re: 97 GSX Starting problem

Did you ever figure out what this was? Mine is doing the same thing.

Comment

Working...
    X