900zxi front cylinder runs hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 900zxi front cylinder runs hot

I put an SBT rebuilt in my 96 900zxi last july. I have probably put about 15-20 hours on it since. In prepping it for the summer this spring, i've noticed that the forward cylinder runs considerably hotter than the other two or the exhaust. I ran it for 15-20 minutes in the water and it seems to run fine, no problem getting up to speed, all necessary compression appears to be there. I just want to be sure that the 1 hot cylinder is not an indicator of something about to go very wrong with the block. I checked the spark plugs and they appear clean, and undamaged (prior engine blew a ring and the piston was hitting the plug).

To recap, forward cylinder is too hot to touch, aft two + exhaust are cool to the touch w/ hose hooked up.

Thanks

Re: 900zxi front cylinder runs hot

That is 100% normal, the front cylinder has the magneto and does run hotter.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Re: 900zxi front cylinder runs hot

Be careful with that engine, i had mine rebuilt it was doing the exact same thing and i burned a whole in the middle piston which is causing me to have to rebuild the **** thing all over again. So BE CAREFULL!! Watch the backfiring if it starts it shut it off and take it back to the shop or if you did it yourself check the oil, i have a sneeky suspicion that is the problem. That pump is just a little funny to me. Mix extra oil in the engine on the first 50 hrs or so just for good luck, the only problem with that is that youll go through a couple sets of plugs. I know that mine was not the carb or a gas problem if that helps but the oil could be it. I think that kawasaki just screwed up on a run of skiies and didnt want to do anything about it. Oh well i guess we get screwed over it.
      JER

Comment

Working...
      X