Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let me try this again...I do have a SBT engine..!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let me try this again...I do have a SBT engine..!!

First off the engine is a SBT....done this about a year ago....!!

Wouldn't of type all of this just to get re-directed....so hopefully now my questions will get answered.....thanks

Here is the ??? once again:

For some reason it finally started giving me problems at full throttle.....so bought 3 carb kits and rebuilt them....thought that would fix the problem....not saying it didn't help but it didn't fix the new problem.....of course the battery is dead and this may be the problem but took it out yesterday....jumped it off with my father-in-laws boat and started up fine....idle's fine....and takes off very well......but about 5-10 secs into full throttle it starts to cut of....like its not getting enough fuel....let loose of the throttle and it catches up to it self and then you can hit again and it takes off like crazy and then dies out at full throttle....so trying to figure out if this battery may be messing with me.....?? I know when I was loading it.....I guess the battery was finally gettin down all the way and the display was flashing on and off....and when it did that the motor would run like crap.....??? So is it the battery....?? Or stator......or fuel pump.....???

Also does each carb have its own fuel pump or is there just one for all three.....hope someone can help me out or at least tell me where I need to start looking at now....!!!

Tried to charge the battery but it didn't take a care so its really weak....if this helps anyone....
    Last edited by txmudder; 06-21-2006, 12:59 PM. Reason: Change ltitle

Re: Let me try this again...I do have a SBT engine..!!

First of all, you never mentioned anything about SBT, so that's why your other thread was locked.

Second of all, yes you need to correct your battery situation before you can troubleshoot any further. You may have carb/fuel issues but I can't guess with a bad battery situation.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Got the new battery and it will be installed this afternoon....talked to the guy at the dealership and he said to check all grounds....??? Where exactly might I find all of these.....???

Also he said it could be the stator....read on a post here that with it running I can check across the battery and I should have 13v....so if I did that....it would rule out the stator right.....??

Its just weird that it runs fine up until full throttle....But it don't act like its fuel because it doesn't die all of a sudden even with the throttle all the way....just boggs down and doesn't wanna go....then you take your finger off the throttle and hit it again and it goes fine.....like you said I need to put the battery in it and start from there.....you said in another post 3000rpm out of water and 1500rpm's in the water correct....??

Sorry about not letting you know about the SBT....new to the forum and didn't know I needed to do that....but I know now....Thanks

Comment

Yes set idle to 3000 out of the water.

Fuel problem will not make it cut off suddenly, it bogs down.

Yes 13v is a good stator. If it was bad (or the rectifier) it will be above 14 or below 12.

The grounds are the black cables. You need to check ALL your cables - making sure the ends are clean and tight, and there is no damage.

Comment

Ok well I will be sure to check the stator and I also want to check the spark plug wires as well.....what should they be putting out....??? And you would just check them with a meter.....red to the plug wire and black to the ground correct.....???

You said: Fuel problem will not make it cut off suddenly, it bogs down.

Could you explain this more.....?? It will run fine half throttle and never cut out....but soon as you open throttle and it gets wide open for about 5 seconds then it starts to bog down.....so with me saying that it looks as if its leaning toward a electrical problem correct....??? and I know I need to get the battery on before we can go further just wanted to see what you thought....I guess what I'm asking is if it was a fuel problem I wouldn't even make it to half throttle without it cutting off suddenly....correct....???

Comment

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't want to spend time diagnosing a hypothetical situation. Get your battery fixed and like I said, go from there. There are dozens of things that it 'could' be, but I needs facts before I go into it.

Comment

Don't worry about that....I totally under standstand....I will get the battery on it and get back with you 2morrow....but could you just tell me the normal volts and amps I should read from the plug wires and that will be it....

Comment

I have not seen specs for that - you just look for spark or not.

Comment

OK thanks again for all your help....sorry for keeping you tied up with my problems.....just wanna say what an awesome board you have hear.....never had such a quick response time like yours....thanks again

Comment

Make sure the fuel valve is flowing well. I've heard people talk of a restriction of fuel at the valve, and finally experienced it myself this past weekend.

Bypass the valve and see if it helps.

Comment

wetherby - gonna have to explain exactly where this valve is...?? I'm up to anything now.....thanks....

Technical Support - Installed new plugs...new battery.....check spark on plugs all good.....check stator all good on it.....thought I was gonna have some good luck when I got to the river and of course no......but I'm leaning to it being fuel problem not electrical......I can explain it better now.....

Here we go.....from idle it takes off out of the water like a rocket...so low end is fine in my opinion....but when it starts getting to the top end around 50mph or so it starts to bog down and if you just hold the throttle all the way down and don't let off sometimes it will catch up and take off again...but most of the time it will die.....then when you have to start it back up you have to give it the gas to start it......but whenever it starts to die at the top end if you pump the throttle a couple of times it will take right back off over and over again.....maybe the fuel valve like wetherby said but have to explain where this is because I'm not that good of a mechanic.....any suggestions would help just trying to fix it myself to say labor charges.....$$$ thanks

Comment

Ok just wanted to let everyone know checked the compression and everything is good on that end......???

Comment

On the 00 SLX the fuel valve is under the front bonnet, on the starboard (right) side of the the steering tree, opposite the oil fill.

Raise the bonnet, remove the tray, and the hoses on the valve are accessable.

Comment

Ok how dumb can I be....I know excatly what your talking bout and I thought that was what you were talking bout but I figured it was something on the motor.....so just take the 2 hose and get a connected and make it one is what your talking about......

You said you had to do this (fuel valve) ......was your problem the same as what I am having....??

Comment

Originally posted by txmudder
                              Here we go.....from idle it takes off out of the water like a rocket...so low end is fine in my opinion....but when it starts getting to the top end around 50mph or so it starts to bog down and if you just hold the throttle all the way down and don't let off sometimes it will catch up and take off again...but most of the time it will die.....then when you have to start it back up you have to give it the gas to start it......but whenever it starts to die at the top end if you pump the throttle a couple of times it will take right back off over and over again
                              I'm curious, do you know if this ski has had the jetting update?
                              What I mean by this is, in '01 the jetting was changed to eliminate the midrange bog, meaning the 70 jet was replaced with a 65 to lean it out.

This guy had a similar problem with his 00, check out the link and start from around post #61.
                              http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.p...&highlight=slx

Comment

Working...
                              X