96 Seadoo GTS willnot start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 Seadoo GTS willnot start

My father-in-law and I just put a rebuilt SBT 587 engine with a single carb in my Seadoo. He was a mechanic for 40 years. I can be dangerous but he knows his stuff. We also put a SBT engine in our Yamaha last year, it is running great. So we, mainly him, are fairly competent. We rebuilt the carb last year and replaced all the fuel lines. Also got a new starter. After we installed the engine it fired immediately on the trailer. I took it out for the inaugural run Saturday. Again it fired right up, and I was off. I ran it for about 5 minutes. It ran great. All of a sudden it quit, like the lanyard popped off. I checked to make sure it didn't and tried to fire it back up. After several attempts, it would turn over but not fire up I got towed back to the dock. I let it sit for about 20 minutes and tried again. I also switched over to reserve and had the same result. It would turn over but it acted like I was trying to start it without a lanyard. Not wanting to screw anything up further I put it on the trailer and brought it home. I checked and both plugs are getting spark. The plugs look fine. I also pulled the air cleaner to make sure no hoses or cables for the carb were loose or disconnected. The battery is brand new, 12.75 drops a little under load. Everything appears to be fine. I am going to check to make sure the fuel filter isn't clogged but thought I would run it by you guys to get any ideas. It ran great and then it just quit, again acting like there is no lanyard present. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
    Last edited by Mrpeanuthead; 06-26-2006, 12:08 AM.
Working...
X