96 Wave Venture Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 Wave Venture Help

I am not sure what is going on with this ski. It's the 701 engine with the twin carbs on it. I was in the ocean the other day and it didnt feel as if it was pulling correctly. I stopped pulled the plugs and saw that they were dry (as if it had no oil). I headed back to shore at idle and it was still puffing out the tell tale smoke from the back. I changed the plugs and still had a hard time getting it started. When it did run, it felt like the rpms went high then low and it could not get into the power band and stay there. Finally it stalled at idle and i could not get it started and i was towed back to the dock. WHen i got home I rechecked everything and I still can not get into the power band and stay there and it almost feels like it is missing. As soon as i punch the throttle, it tries to pull but it bogs and it revs high then low, high then low, never reaching the power band and staying there. I looked underneath the ski and i saw fuel that looked like it wasn't burned dripping from the exhaust. The exhaust still puffs the smoke as it should, so i know its burning the premix. I can't get the ski started unless i use Ether (starting fluid) I recently rebuilt the carbs (2 weeks ago) and i premix with yamalube using a 40:1 mix. Could it be a weak coil? The engine is also new, i recently purchased it from you guys (SBT). Any help will be greatly appreciated cause i do not know where to start with this.

Most likely you have a carb problem - it may be that your pump screws have come loose if you didn't tighten them enough, or you have trash in the fuel system. You need to do a compression test and then pull the carbs off.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I set the screws at (1) for the low and (1.5) on the high for both of them. I am not sure if this is the factory setting but it is what i found on the web and everything was working fine with these settings. If you know what the setting is, could you please share the info with me? Do you think it is an ignition problem? I just spent crazy dough on this thing and the last thing i wanna do is start spending more. I will be doing a compression test today when i get home, and i will check both the high and low speed screws. This problem was all of a sudden. The ski ran perfect the day before.

Comment

Wayy off. Stock settings are: 1 1/8th turns out low speed, 7/8th turns out high-speed.

Comment

Ahh thank you for the settings. Am i supposed to use anything on the threads to keep the settings from changing due to vibration? I don't think this is the greatest place for lock tite blue. Any suggestions? Do you think this may be part of the problem? It ran fine up until yesterday. Is there any way to test the coil?

Comment

If the needles are clean, the orings and springs are in good condition, they stay put.

Comment

I have the folowing for a 62T twin carb
              Low side 5/8 +- ¼
              High side front 5/8 rear 1-1/8 +- ¼
              Who's correct?

Comment

Oh man - my bad - I was thinking venture 1100 in my head, which is the specs I posted...ignore my specs!!

Comment

Working...
                X