Help with what I should do/buy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with what I should do/buy.

http://www.jetboating.net/jetboating...threadid=10964Forums - Post New Thread

ly, I just got a brand new used 1995 Speedster with twin 657x rotax, and I have done a lot of maitanance to it already. I got the left engine up and running, and the right engine just wasn't going, I thought I wasn't bleeding enough gas, and then it was running too lean, and the 1 cylinder seem like it just didn't want to fire. So I wound up, checking the compression and it was 30 PSI, which I was like MAN! I tore off the top end so I could see in the cylinder to see what it looked like (The other cylinder has 120 compression).

I was shocked when I looked inside, what happend in there? Take a look at these pictures and see what you think.

Basically as you can see all the metal is all bent out of shape and chipped.

Please suggest any problems you think might have happend. I'm mainly concerned do you think anythings wrong with the bottom end? I did some turning and it seems to turn on a dime in sync and the front cylinder was able to fire.

Secondly please help me select an option. What will be the cheapest and most logical option. Since it seems the top part of the head is damage (Last picture), the sleeve looks ok.

Sea-Doo 657 Engine Sea-Doo 657 Engine
    Code:40-103
    Price: $699.00
    Quantity in Basket: none

This is a Standard remanufactured Sea-Doo 657X engine. It includes the cases, cylinders, trued and welded crankshaft, head, head cover, all new internal parts & a woodruff key and a 1-year no-fault warranty. See below for all associated parts.

Cylinder Exchange Top-End Kit, Sea-Doo 657X Cylinder Exchange Top-End Kit, Sea-Doo 657X
    Code:62-104
    Price: $423.00

The Cylinder Exchange Program gives you a complete top-end for your engine, ready to bolt on. If your sleeve(s) is damaged or your current bore is beyond the max service limit - don't worry, we resleeve at no-charge. It also includes cylinders, all new SBT pistons, rings, wrist pins, c-clips, base gaskets, head/head cover gaskets/o-rings, intake and exhaust gaskets. Rebuildable core cylinders required for exchange.

Top-End Kit, Sea-Doo 657/X Top-End Kit, Sea-Doo 657/X
    Code:60-103
    Price: $273.00

Top-end Kits include new SBT pistons, rings, wrist-pins, c-clips, base gaskets & head/head cover gaskets
    Last edited by jetboatfishing; 04-10-2007, 05:00 PM.

Re: Help with what I should do/buy.

You need to completely break down the engine outside of the boat to determine what it needs and the cause of failure. Looking at the top of the pistons really doesn't tell you anything other than it has some type of damage. When you can fully inspect the components, you can make a decision of what it needs as far as a complete engine or a top-end job. Beyond that it's you're choice, as far as how long of a warranty you want, how much of the work you want to do, etc.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

It sounds like I would just be better off buying a new engine. Does the top end replacement come with new cylinders and a head?

What is the average lifetime of 657x engines?

Comment

I would estimate the avgerage 657 to last about 300 hours if cared for very well.

The cylinder exchange does not include a head.

Comment

Even with an Oil Block off kit?

Why do so many people blow their cylinders?

Also roughly how long is the shipping of a new engine?

Comment

The 657 wasn't the best engine ever made to begin with.

Shipping is 1-3 days depending on where you live fro Clearwater, FL.

Comment

Is there a better swap for the 657x such as the 717? Aren't they a direct swap or is that not just a good idea.

Comment

No you can not swap blocks, and we don't do uneven exchanges anyway.

Comment

Makes sense....Thanks for your help. I'm going to buy an engine.

Comment

Are the oil block off kits reusable?

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Working...
                      X