This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LS2000 foreign object in impeller

A friend of mine has an LS2000, I think it is also a model year 2000 boat. The model number as listed on manufacturers plate on port side of engine compartment is LST12007. I am not sure what qualifies as a designation for the engines. There is an SAE designation J1928 on top of the valve cover and additionally some more numbers with no explanation of what they are

FOR0700718
    65-U-13610-00

Don't know that the engine model really matters. There is a small rock caught between the port impeller and the stationary fins in the aluminum housing behind the impeller. Because of the cammed surface of the impeller, prying the impeller forward would only jam the stone tighter. I don't see any convenient boss on the impeller that would allow me to pry it in reverser to loosen the stone.

My best idea is to put an offset pipe wrench on the shaft through the access port that allows clearing seaweed from upstream of the impeller and turning the shaft in reverse.

I assume the connection to the engine is hard, without a clutch or transmission. I can pull the plugs to relieve any compression that might be created by turning and this should make it easier to turn.

I probably only need to turn it an 1/8 of a revolution or less to free the stone.

Alternatively I could try to undo the long steel bolts that hold the impeller housing on to an aluminum mounting flange on the back of the boat and pull off the reversing unit and next unit back with the fixed blades and that would free the stone also. I am worried about whether these bolts tend to corrode in place given the different metals. I consider using an impact wrent on these bolts. Should they back off without too much trouble on a 6 year old boat or am I asking for trouble to do it this way.

It doesn't look like there are any gasket or seals between the two aluminum castings aft of the impeller, but maybe it is just very thin. Should I expect trouble spliting these separate aluminum housing pieces apart. Is any sealant or gasket recommended between them if I go the disassembly route.

Thanks,

Brian
    Exeter, RI

Re: LS2000 foreign object in impeller

The SBT Forums are for SBT Product Support ONLY. For all general PWC support/discussion, please post on www.pwctoday.com.

Thank you - SBT Mgt.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
    X