Hard to start when Cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard to start when Cold

My SBT engine installed two days ago takes multiple cranks on the starter...such as 4 or more 15 second intervals of cranking to get the engine to fire. I am worried that this will eventually wear out the starter. Does this sound like a carb problem? Any suggestions? It starts immediately when warm in the water and runs fine...no bogging or stalling. Only when cold and the first start of the day. By the way...thanks for the fine instructions for the install. It only took a few hours and there were no surprises.

Re: Hard to start when Cold

Most lilkely yes, it's a carb issue. Do you use choke? What ski is it? Have the carbs ever been rebuilt?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

It is a 1999 Kawasaki 900 STX. I really don't know if the carbs have had any work, but I do not think so. I ran it for three hours today (during the SBT break-in) and it runs fine, idles fine, etc.

Starting it I am using some choke, but oddly enough it takes three hands. One for the choke, one for the starter, and one for the gas. Any suggestions for a first time owner who has just proudly dropped his SBT engine in with no problems?

If I have to go into the carbs for a rebuild, do you know what SBT product number that would be?

After this ski is warmed up (I start it at home prior to going to the marina) it starts immediately. It is just that frustrating cold start that ruins the fun.

Thanks again for your quick response!:emotisun

Comment

Those carbs are dealer only for parts. First, make sure your idle speed is high enough - it should be 3000 out of the water. Beyond that, I would rebuild the carbs.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
        X