720 Crankcase Operating Temperature??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 720 Crankcase Operating Temperature??

Does anyone know what the normal operating temperature of the crancase would be on a 720. This is probably a strange question as I doubt many of you have actually measured temperature in this area. I am just breaking in a new shortblock and am somewhat paranoid about the crankcase temperature. When my motor failed the head and cylinder temperature was cool but the crankcase was very hot. Water in the bilge was steaming.

Presently when running the crancase temp by the PTO is hot to the touch but I can leave my fingers there. Temperature at the magneto end seems to be somewhat hotter and the magneto casing is also hot to the touch. I realize there is no water cooling in this area so expect temperature to be warm but not sure just how warm.

I am running with the oil pump blocked off with a 32:1 oil ratio and plan to breakin with running a full tank in my Sportster before any kind of full throttle operation.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Re: 720 Crankcase Operating Temperature??

Cases, PTOs, flywheel covers, any just about everything else on an engine is supposed to be hot. Don't be paranoid, just run it :)
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Re: 720 Crankcase Operating Temperature??

I was worried too about my 787 RFI and even got a laser heat gun to check it. It seems to be hot but its still running. I dont know what they are supposed to be but its about the same as my other two 787's.

Comment

Working...
      X