Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Air leak through spark plug threads on new motor..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air leak through spark plug threads on new motor..

Not so good.

I was pressure testing my warranty motor after reassembly only to find a significant air leak through the spark plug threads on center and PTO. MAG is OK.

The air leak *does not* follow the plugs. Placed the plug that was on the front (not leaking) on PTO (which leaks the worst) and it continued to leak. The rear plug was moved to the front, no leaks still.

To myself and my friend it looks like there's too deep of a chamfer on the head before the threads start. There's also a nick on the PTO head under the spark plug washer where you can even see it continues past the washer coverage area.

Aren't these things pressure tested before they leave the factory?

And can I just have two replacement heads sent out so I don't have to dissasemble everything again and ship this thing out again...

I attached pictures of it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by javiert99; 08-12-2006, 07:18 PM.

Re: Air leak through spark plug threads on new motor..

Yes they are pressure tested, but the threads on the test equipment is beefier than spark plugs, sometimes a slightly weak thread can slip through - but we will certainly take care of it ASAP! Yes I'm sure warranty can quickly ship out some new heads and o-rings, first thing Monday - just give them a call 877 330 0231
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks! I'll call first thing monday :)

Comment

I called warranty, and it looks like they will be OK with sending out two new heads, but my only gripe is that I don't have my new engine's serial # handy with me at work, and for some reason they can't cross reference my old serial #, claim #, phone #, or last name to find my new motor's serial #, all of which I have at work.

Doesn't really make any sense to me. So I have to haul *** home from work during lunch to go grab that. There's gotta be a better way!

Oh well, I'll call back this afternoon with the information required, as I really need those by tomorrow.

Comment

We can lookup that info, however that is going on the assumption that it's all correct. Yes most of the time it is, but mistakes can happen, and we like to work of as many known variables as possible, so we need to know exactly what engine you have. That way we can lookup it's specs and cut the heads by a known amount, rather than guessing.

Comment

I hear ya, don't get me wrong, I appreciate the replacement of the heads and not have to go through the whole motor swap process.

The more right it comes out the better ;) I need to get back on that water soon.

Comment

Was looking forward to it shipping today so I can get this wrapped up like I discussed earlier with Yolanda, but it looks like it's not shipping out till tomorrow now even after rushing home to get that serial number at noon when I called in with the information..

Not sure why 2:30 pm is the cutoff time for shipping.

Sorry, just frustrated over the whole situation.. I just wanted to get the thing broken in this past Sunday instead of wrenching on it this week after work.. now it's delayed another day.

Comment

Got the heads today, thanks.

I have my Clymer's head and head cover torque specs at home, but might as well verify with you since you guys have the Polaris specs themselves.

What are the proper head and head cover torque #'s. I have the correct pattern.

Thanks.

Comment

20 for the head, 22 for the cover.

Comment

Thank ya much!

Comment

n/m

Comment

WTF?

These still had more chamfer than the front head, not much plug gasket mating surface at all.

I put all 3 used plugs in at 18 ft/lbs, front one did not leak, the back two still had a slight leak. This is nut guys, c'mon now.

I tightened the plugs down a bit more and the leak went away, but I shouldn't now have to be worried that my plugs are always "tighter" than spec. You don't always have access to a torque wrench when you're looking at plugs, and I don't know a single person who torques their plugs down *every time* they take them out. Now I'm going to be paranoid.

I need to get this motor in there so it's going in tonight, but this is really looks to be a lack of QC on SBT's part.

Comment

These were hand picked by our production manager, and frankly, you are the only one that has complained about leaking spark plug holes in over 3 months. I have serious doubts about the actual problem here being two sets of heads in a row, for the same person, beign damaged/out of spec. We donot even machine that surface on heads. I think you are most likely improperly torquing, or think you are doing it correctly when you are not, or have used those plugs too many times.

Please post high quality pics of the surfaces you say are not right or send them back and I will personally look at them with our Tech Manager.

Comment

If I can "improperly" torque spark plugs to 18 ft/lbs with a digitorq torque wrench I might as well kill myself right now, I have been wrenching for enough years and just built an EFI SB Chevy and had no problems torquing anything down, for that matter, with that torque wrench, and that motor is doing just fine. I know you don't know me well, and I'm sure you have some folks that are not so mechanically inclined, but I can guarantee you I'm not one of them, and can use a freakin' torque wrench.

Yes, the plugs are used, but have very little use. The first time I used them I did not torque them down with my torque wrench as I did not have access to it at the time.

I guess the problem I'm seeing is I have 3 spark plugs. I put 3 spark plugs in, I torque them all down to 18 ft/lbs. I have a noticeable air bubble leak at the center cylinder, and a very small one at PTO... let's say that one is negligible. I have no leak at the front cylinder.

Ok, remove the center plug, remove the front plug. Switch them. Torque to 18 ft/lbs. Add air, bubble out of center again. The plug that was "ok" at the front, is now leaking in the center. Plug that was leaking at the center is now fine, with no leaks, at the front.

I'm going to go to the store right now and buy 3 brand new spark plugs, and tighten them down to exact 18 ft/lbs and pressure test. I have a feeling the new/fresh gasket will seal fine, but I guess everytime I remove my plugs from now on that concern will linger and I'll feel the need to put fresh plugs in?

I'll report back in a bit.

Comment

If you still have an issue please go through warranty 977 330 0231

Comment

Working...
                              X