Oil in my 94 GTX 657 SBT engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil in my 94 GTX 657 SBT engine

I installed my SBT 657 a few years ago and it was a great experience. It was easy to do and it has run like a top ever since. I would deffinately do it again!

This year when I was getting it ready for the new season I removed the spark plugs and cycled the engine and there was a geyser of oil that came out of it. (I mean a LOAD!) After searching the SBT forum I learned about the problem of oil "eating" through the gasket in the Bottom End filling the cylinder, due to extended storage. I am in the midst of removing the engine to replace the gasket (I'll be buying my gasket kit from SBT)... Is there anything else that I should be concerned about now that oil has flooded the cylinder (s?).

Will there be any problems with the main bearing seals?

I suppose that it would also be a good time to install the SBT Oil Block off kit as the machine isn't getting any younger and it's a matter of time now?

Any other advise or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    SJ

Re: Oil in my 94 GTX 657 SBT engine

Nothing special to worry about, no. The oil block off is your call - we recommend either doing that or periodically replacing your oil pump.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thank you for the quick response. One last thing...

Is there anything that I can do to prevent this from happening again? Should I be looking for another gasket type that won't be so susceptible to oil? Is there a way to drain the oil from the engine when storing it for longer periods of time?

Thanks again,
      SJ

Comment

Yes, draining the oil from the exhuast side for extended storage periods will prevent it.

Comment

Can you tell me if there's a way to tell where the oil may be leaking from? I was hoping that it would be the gasket between the halves of the bottom end. Is there a way to tell if it could be from the seals on either side of the timming gear? It's hard to tell 'cos oil is everywhere and I can't see anything obvious.

Is there a place that it typically leaks from?

Thanks,
          SJ

Comment

No, you can not tell for sure until it's torn down. There is no gasket used there.

Comment

Working...
            X