Just finished SBT motor install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just finished SBT motor install

This isn't really freestyle...So move it if you must.

I received the SBT motor friday. Of course nothing is easy sooo. I had to go down to Fedex to pick it up. Seems you have to be home and personally sign for the motor. I never knew when Fedex is going to show up so I begrudginly went and picked it up.

The Motor is a 657x seadoo motor I'm putting in a buddies ski. His motor is completely locked up. It sat for two years with antifreeze in the crank...not good....not good at all

I opened the box and read through all the material (the calender) and was impressed. The motor looked to be perfect. O found the return slip and the bill along with the break in oil and external gasket kit. I give the pacakging an A+.

The Ski is a 95 GTX. It has been worked on before so I had a lot of tidying up to do after I got the motor out.

My only real trouble came when I was trying to remove the flywheel...OMG! It took an acetylene torch and a big hammer to loosen it up.

reassembly was straight forward. I scavanged all the parts from the old motor as I needed them for the new one. I locktited (sp) all the screws and had the motor back in in no time. After assuring all the coonection were made and the oil line was perged I cranked it over. It took several attempts and a little WD40. Then she fired up and purred. I noticed right away that it seemed to idle really smoothly. Smoother than my non rebuilt 2000 GTS.

Tomorrow I'll take her to the river and tune her up.

I was alittle intimidated by this project at first. SBTs warranty (even if I install it wrong) really gave me the courage to do it myself. Thanks SBT.

By the way I only have basic hand tools and was working in my driveway (read no garage). I have about six hours in the whole project.

Also I found the information on the DVD quite interesting. I learned a few things and Will have my wife and kids watch it too. The ride safe section is good info...