Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zxi1100 Excessive smoke, fouled plugs

Hi,
    I just got a rebuilt motor, and have broken it all in correctly, adding oil to the gas. I'm no longer adding oil to the gas, and have not for about 10 tanks. I'm using my stock oil injection. I'm still fouling plugs, and getting excessive smoke. More when idling. Do I need to adjust my carb settings to lean the mixture out? If so what ones, the high, or low, or both? Do you have a guide to setting up the carbs correctly with a re-built motor? I'm using Boyseen power reeds, could this have messed up the original factory settings?:emoticond

On another note...I was told that if I signed up for this forum, that I could get a free T-shirt. How do I get that? (I'm a local, and can come by the shop to pick it up)
    :emotisun
    Thanks,
    :emotisun SunCoast ShuttleCraft

Re: zxi1100 Excessive smoke, fouled plugs

For a shirt, you need to make apost in the SBT Experience section.

No carb adjustments are not needed, they have nothing to do with oil.

What ski is it?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I think the motor is damaged. I went out yesterday with new plugs after adjusting my carbs to factory recommended settings. After about an hour of running I lost power. I checked the plugs, and found the rear plug's gap was nothing. Like something hit it and pinched it shut. I tried starting it up and it will not turn over. I put the battery on charge overnight, and tried again today, with the plugs removed. It still will not turn over. HELP!
      :( :emoticond :emotredf

Comment

That does mean damage, yes. Please call in and ask for warranty to get it swapped out. 877 330 0231

What caused the original engine to fail and what repairs were made?

Comment

I'm not sure what made the last motor fail. It did the same thing though. Just siezed up. I had bought a used hull with a blown motor (Rod thru the crankcase). I needed it for the hull. I exchanged my original siezed motor. I used most of the parts from the blown motor to assemble this motor, including the oil pump. I bled the oil pump as recommended in the service manual when installing this motor. I just pulled the oil lines going to the carbs and they are flowing oil, so I don't think it was that. (I think I'm going to block the oil pump next time just in case, and go with pre-mix). I think my original motor was just worn out. It was the factory motor. 1996 zxi1100. It didn't blow the crank or anything, it just siezed up one day. Probbaly rings deterioration?

Will I get a failure report if I have to exchange this motor, so that I can try to avoid this in the future? This motor was just purchaced in April. This is very disturbing...I'd like to know if it was something I did to cause this pre-mature failure.

Comment

Yes you will get a report. I have yet to see a single engine that has 'worn out'. I would recommend going pre-mix and rebuilding your carbs - then go through the whole ski, since it's a big unknown.

Comment

I was just going through some (Cell Phone, very low res) photos I took when I was assembling this motor, and I remembered something I noticed in the water jacket of the motor right out of the bag. There was a brown/Grey residue in the water jacket towards the bottom of the exaust side jackets. I scraped some of it out with a peice of plastic puddy knife before putting the exaust together. Now I'm wondering, is this normal? I thought that maybe it was machining residue left over. Could this have gone further in, than the eye could see, and restricted the flow of water to the cylinders? Looking thru the other photos I can see that everything was VERY clean, and put together properly, as I had just bought a Kaw. service manual just for this motor rebuild.

Comment

No it's not normal, but I can't say if it could be a problem wihtout seeing it. I can't even think of what it could be, we don't use anything fitting that description that I can think of. Post the pics please.

Comment

Can't just post photo's from a file to this post, so I put them up on my website. Also photo's of the spark plugs (I got a better camera). You can clearly see that the rear spark got slapped up with something, and wasn't burning. Like I said I've had the smoking problem since day one. Clearly there's lots of oil residue on the exaust of my ride. I'd love to pull the head and give ya photo's of the cylinder, (but I know that's a NO,NO!). I entered my warranty info today on the web do I still need to call to get an RMA? I plan to get 'R done this week, since I'm local..

Still got plenty of ridin to do, since the morning LOW's are (only) in the 80's, and the Gulf of mexico is 87 degrees!
                  :) Gotta love this place!
                  Thanks,
                  http://www.suncoast-shuttlecraft.com/sbt_motor.htm

Comment

Please call as I instructed, the web form is not working right now - if you notice, it just took you back to the form page when you hit send.

I can't tell anything from those photos, but I do not suspect anything wrong with the residue you describe, it certainly isn't blocking the ports or anything.

Comment

I tried calling thursday night when I got home from work, about 4:15. I got an answering machine after talking to the main office who transfered my call to the warranty dept. I left a message with my name and number, and asked for a return call. How long does that usually take? I also tried again to enter my info on the website, still no luck. Are they open on saturday's. I'll try to call again today. Got to pull the motor while its somewhat cool outside, its (only) 78 this morning.

Hey I was wondering also if you still offer live factory tours? I'd be interested in doing that when I bring this motor back.
                      Thanks,

Comment

We are open M-F 8-5. Yes we give tours to anyone that wants one!

Comment

Just got the new warranty replacement motor. Thanks for the great service. I was given a new set of gaskets, and they even took off my old PTO for me. That was great, since the local Kaw shop tried, and said they would have to split the case to get it off. It turned out that I had a Main Bearing failure. Thank God it was nothing that I did to it! Hopefully I'll have much better luck with this motor than what I did with the last. I'm a little concerned that it may have been an issue when the bearings were pressed onto the crankshaft. I know in the past I've messed them up doing that before (so bad that I knew I could not use them). I did notice the residue I had mentioned in the beginning on this motor. I'll shoot some better photos of this if you'd like to see what I'm talking about. I don't think it's a problem.

On a side note, I was going to install a hour meter on this ski, and I was wondering if you knew where the best place to hook it in, would be. I was thinking the trim gauge. My antitheft key turns off the power to the gauges after about 3 mins of inactivity, so I'm thinking thats the best place (Since I leave that on all day when I'm ridin').

Thanks!:beer

Comment

To avoid any problems I recommend wiring new acessories directly to the battery, not to existing gauges. The trim may work, but I have not tried it.

What did your warranty report say, just bearing failure? No cause such as possible lack of oil, overheat, etc.?

Comment

Yes just bearing failure. She said "You didn't do anything that caused the failure". Here's the report. Will they look at it further? I understood that SBT did an in depth analysis to determine the failure mode. I was kind suprized that they came out after an hour with the report. I was under the understanding that SBT wanted to get to the "Root Cause" of the failure, before they gave a report, so they can determine if they needed to look at their assembly process? I was told I would get a report within 48 hours, which would have made sense to me. I'm a quality inspector/electronic tech at a local electronics firm and that's the way we do business. We want to find out why the failure occurred, so we can fix it right away. (Most of our surface mount PC Boards cost more than that motor.) We do hundreds of them a month.

If I hook an hour meter straight to the battery it's going to run forever. Where are you talking about again?

Thanks
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X