New short block ZXI 900-won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New short block ZXI 900-won't start

I purchased a SBT block for my ZXI 900 but just got around to having it installed after the block sat for maybe three years. The motor just will not turn over. Everything checks out ok, compression,spark,etc. All the electrical components have been checked out and are in working order. The motor turns over but will not start. Right now it is at a marina that deals in Kawasaki, they are saying the crank case seals are bad and want an arm and a leg to pull the motor back out and replace the seals. My question is: is it possible the crank case seals could go bad from the block sitting for 3-4 years before being installed?

Re: New short block ZXI 900-won't start

Yes it's possible, as they may have dried out. For long term storage it's required that the engine be 'winterized' which includes a thorough fogging of the eigne to insure oil coverage on all parts.

However, if you are not even getting it attempting to start, I doubt seals are your problem. You need to have them narrow down the exact problem. If you have good compression (around 120 psi), and you have good spark, then it should at least attempt to start for a second or two by simply putting a tablespoon of fuel down each spark plug hole. If nothing happens doing that, you don't really have good spark. Often times testing for spark means all they did was pull the plug wires off, put a plug in a wire and hold it near the head while cranking. This does not mean it's properly sparking under load.

DO this also - put a multimeter on your battery while cranking and measure your voltage. If it drops below 12.2v it means the battery is weak or bad.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
    X