Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Thrust

posted Sun July 20 2003 11:44 PM
    I was out the other day and while driving along I lost all thrust from the ski and it made a grinding noise. It stopped completely and if i gave it gas it would just whine and not move..it sounded bad. The only thing that happened prior to this was when i came out from the 5mph zone i gave it gas and at full throttle it would only go 40mph then after a few seconds it would feel like it got kicked in the *** and shoot back up to 60's. This happened a few times so i started heading back and thats what i got stuck.

The only thing done was I replaced the prop and inake grate about 5 hours ago (been out about 4 times since). When I took out the prop to inspect everything looked good, but the teeth on the end of the drioveshaft were worn down bad...now keep in mind i had it out about 5 hours prior and the teeth were perfect with almost no wear. Any ideas?

What ski?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

sorry, '99 xl1200ltd

Comment

I'd say you probably left out the prop spacer, or the end nut spacer, or the nut wasn't torqued enough - somehow your driveshaft slid backwards. Check all your pump bearings too.

Comment

if i inspected the driveshaft should the teeth show wear from the impeller side to the end of the shaft gradually or will it be even wear.... i have to take a ride to the garage to inspect it. Do you think if that was the case i have to replace the intermediate driveshaft? or can i just purchase a new driveshaft....thanks for the quick reply!!!

Comment

Ususally it's just the driveshaft, and there shouldn't be any uneven wear.

Comment

thanks....do you sell just the driveshafts on the site?

Comment

We don't sell any pump parts. www.hlsm.com has them online or you can get them through your local dealer.

Comment

should i consider buying anything else as well...any seals, o-rings, etc... while i;m doing this? i appreaciate the quick responses.

Comment

Only if they are damaged.

Comment

Working...
                    X