Oh, no I didn't!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, no I didn't!!!

O.k. Yes, I'm a woman, and yes I'm blonde, but please, help!!

We bought a very old 1987 jet ski, 550.

It was running, but not great, so we (my husband and I) bought a service manual to try to fix it (since NO ONE in our area will touch it, being so old. Guess they figure we'll just buy a new one.)

When we were looking at the book, we found a new thing in the engine. Looked just like a hose with a cap on it.

I said to my husband, "Hey, that looks like a place to attach the hose, so when you run the engine, you don't have to have the hose under the JS".

"WOW! You are right, but let's check.... nothing in the book but I think you're right!" Said my husband.

"Yep! The hose fits exactly! I'm sure that is what it is for".

On goes the water... and now we have sludge in the entire engine. :emoticonc

It will run, but sludge of black goo (water and oil burned to a nice black tar) just comes out of the exhaust.

Is there ANY hope of fixing this?

O.k. Stop laughing and please help me! :o

Re: Oh, no I didn't!!!

Yes that is a flush fitting, however flushing MUST always be done with the engien running - I'm not clear if you did that or not. If you did and you are simply seeing an oil slick coming out your exhaust - that is completely normal, especially on a ski that has been sitting for a while, and perhaps was winterized. On 2 stroke engines (what you have) oil is mixed in the engine to be burned with the fuel - however not all is consumed. A good amount simply passes to the exhaust, and over time will certainly collect. It will clear out a bit with use, but will never go away.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks for the response!

To answer your question... yes, and no.

We attached the hose, and turned it on then immediately started the engine. Then turned off the water and turned off the engine.

Thank you sooo much for your response. :emoticonb

I don't know if it was winterized or not.

We put Stabil in it after last season... is that what you mean?

On the end of your response, I didn't understand the part that was bolded. <Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums. >Did I do something wrong?

Comment

Re: Oh, no I didn't!!!

That is called a signature, it was not directed specifically at you, it's on all my messages.

You are ok since the engine started. Just don't make a habbit of turning on the water first.

Stabil is good for several months at best. I recommend if the fuel, even if stabil treated, is more than 9 months old - dump it before starting. The carbs will be ok, but the octane will still be lower.

Winterizing means, among other things, putting fogging oil through the engine for storage. It leaves a lot of oil in the engine that comes out the next time you start it.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
        X