Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Engine mis-alignment cause main bearing failure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Engine mis-alignment cause main bearing failure?

I just viewed the SBT video on alignment (I got to say this feature ROCKS). I put my motor back together with the stock shims in the original positions. The motor mounts are in great condition. The straightedge looks good on the three sides I can see. The bottom of course is blind.

Can a mis-aligned motor stress the main crank bearings and cause a failure? The two PTO's do not touch, and I thought the rubber coupler would take up any slight mis-alignment.

Is there any wear patterns I should look for on the coupler?

Would it be better to give a portion of the PTO a slight raise. (I guess I'm asking since I can't see the bottom), should I do like a "pre-load", in one direction of the PTO? I'm not sure which side the engine would torque under load.

Thanks,
    :emotisun SunCoast ShuttleCraft

Re: Can Engine mis-alignment cause main bearing failure?

The rubber dampner does soak up a bit, and it's less critical on models that use one - but 90% of Sea-Doos are a direct metal to metal coupling. Yes a really bad alignment can stress rear main bearings. Most often though what goes are the PTO splines. Sometimes it will cause vibration and you might see bolts backing out too.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
    X