'01 XL1200T crankcase filled with tap water then sat for 2 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '01 XL1200T crankcase filled with tap water then sat for 2 years

I inherited this 2001 XL 1200T from my brother. 2 years ago the starter solenoid stopped working, and he sat in his front yard with the water running trying to get the engine to crank (which of course it never did). He even took the spark plugs out and made the observation that water was coming out of the spark plug holes.
    Then he parked it in his back yard.

Last week, I get it from him. Knowing that the crankcase had probably been filled with water, I immediately replace the solenoid, turn the watercraft upside down, with the plugs removed, and drain as much of the water as I can possibly get out of the engine.. I even spin the crankshaft a couple of cycles to help the process.

Then I fill the crankcase with 2 stroke oil mixed with some Lucas Oil additive, let it sit for about a week, then flip it back over and drain as much as possible out again.

After all of that, I actually got it to crank up on land, and it run relatively well. I even took it out the next day and rode for about an hour with premixed fuel+oil in the fuel tank as well as the oil that was already in the oil reservoir. Other than it wanting to stall at idle, I did not have any problems with it.

Tried to take it out again a week later, nothing else done but add more fuel to the fuel tank (without adding more oil to fuel), nothing but problems, engine had a hard time spinning over while still on the trailer, jumpstarted it from the truck, got it running, took it about 1000 feet away from the dock, and out of nowhere engine started bogging down and died. Cranked it back up, ran fine for about 15 seconds, bogged down, died. Continued this pattern for about 4 more times before I gave up and trailered it again.

Right now I"m under the impression that the main bearings have all pretty much siezed, and I need a new short block. (this is the justification for these forums).. My question is this, other than completely tearing down this engine and looking at the bearings, are there any other possibilities I can entertain before throwing my hands up in disdain?
    Last edited by fuxxy; 10-18-2006, 02:43 PM. Reason: Left out some details

Re: '01 XL1200T crankcase filled with tap water then sat for 2 years

You never should have tried to even turn it over. If you haven't already done so, it's very easy to damage/ruin the cases that way, when the crank bearings/rods let go. That adds up to $500+ to the repair bill when they really let go.

At this point you have a core in unknown condition. Pull it out to inspect for case/cylinder damage. Obviously yes you need a new shortblock. No, there is nothing else you can do.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

So you're saying that, knowing the condition it was in when I got it, I should have gotten a rebuilt engine from the start?

Comment

Either that or rebuilt it yourself/had it rebuilt - the point being that trying to start it was not the best thing to do, since you could have easily have ruined a $500 set of cases, and there was absolutely no point in trying to do so, since it MUST be replaced/rebuilt, without question.

Hopefully for you you got real lucky and your cases are fine, then you are simply where you started without being further in the hole.

Comment

Okay, so once I get the engine out of the ski, how do I find out what condition it is in for the SBT core exchange?

Comment

All we care about is broken aluminum, like a crack/hole in the case or cylinders.

Comment

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! - This is what I've found so far. Check out #2 cyl

EDIT - please do not post huge pictures directly into a thread, it stretched everyone's screen. That's what the Attachment feature is for.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Technical Support; 10-20-2006, 08:19 AM.

Comment

That to be expected, it's from debris bouncing around - as I said, it's toast. The bottom end is coming apart and chunking all over the place. That's the same debris that can wedge itself between the journals and case and crack them.

Comment

Working...
                X