SL780 Carb Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL780 Carb Problem

Greetings to all! Was looking for some advice on my carb issue. I have a 1996 SL780 ... the carb seems to want to stay wide open...won't go down to idle. (Please excuse my description to follow, but I am not sure of the proper terms/descriptions for internal parts...:) ) After removing the seat & starting it, I found that I could manually press on the lever/cable assembly behind the carb & it would settle down....as soon as I let it go, it races back up to high rpms. After removing the cover on the carb, it appears that the brass circles (Butterflies??) on the lower shaft running through the carb are not seating fully....they are slightly tilted. The Polaris dealer said it needs a new carb...a rather pricey figure. I was thinking of attaching a bracket to one of the inner walls and running a "helper spring" to the lever in question, to pull it back to the correct position. Was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem, and what can be done to correct it. It doesn't look like the shaft can be removed...it looks like it is "peened" in place. Any and all comments appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Re: SL780 Carb Problem

The butterflies should not be closed, but slightly open, at idle. If your shafts are sticking you can try a throttle shaft rebuild kit (through your local dealer) or yes, you need new carbs. NO do not rig any sort of silly spring. Risking your ski sticking wide open is NOT a safe option whatsoever.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
    X