Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kawasaki SXI 750 Water in engine after flushing cooling system

Please help with the following queries.

On arriving at the sea I wanted to check my Kawa SXI 750 '96 model to make sure it starts (I ride in saltwater once a year in December). I disconnected the hose at the back underneath of the jetski which is connected to the water suction valve, connected a garden hose to this pipe, and then opened the water tap. The engine started and I ran it for about a minute whilst spraying carb cleaner liberally into the carbs.

Two days later I once again connected a garden hose to the ski and opened the water tap. However, I only started the engine about 3 minutes after opening the garden tap. It would not start. After unscrewing the spark plugs I noticed that the one cylinder was filled with water.

From reading another post I now realise that I should not have opened the water without running the engine (pitty my ski did not come with an owners manual!!!).

I removed the head, carb and the part below the carb the following day and drained out the fresh water (mixed with carb cleaner) by turing the ski on its side. After draining the fresh water out I did not spray the engine with oil or anything else. It is now 1 week later and I have purchased new gaskets.

1.) Should I spray the engine with a solvent before closing the engine?
    2.) What are the chances of the engine still being OK? Should I take it to a shop to check first before closing the engine? What should I look for in the engine to determine whether it is still OK?
    3.) Is it sufficient to drain all the water out by turning the ski on its side or should I open another part of the engine or some draining plug?
    3.) Also what spec gasket sealer should I use to fit the head - a shop suggested that I use a spray on gasket sealer?
    4.) I have also noticed that the water outlet on the side of the jetski does not squirt any water out. The ski does however not overheat and it seems that water is coming out of the exhaust. What is the most likely cause of the problem and what checks can I do to identify and correct the problem.

Thanks for your time in answering the query.
    Last edited by vnessa; 01-05-2007, 04:30 AM. Reason: Read another post which partly answered my question
Working...
X