• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor swap nightmare on 00 XL1200LTD

Ski:
    2000 XL1200LTD (Powervalve)

Pertinent background(short version):
    Got seawater in motor unknowingly, and subsequently it died. Took it to Yamaha dealer and had it torn down for diagnosis. They informed me of water and quoted almost $6000.00 for a replacement. Wasn't doing that so I picked up ski and torn down motor parts and it sat in yard for long time.

Eventually I found SBT and ordered a core. I then took the core, the old torn down motor, and the ski to my mechanic. They basically put the motor back in the ski without paying any attention to the carbs, even though I told them it had gotten seawater in the motor. The mechanic said that it will start for a second if he squirts starter fluid (or gas, not sure which) in the spark plug holes,but won't run on it's own. I have lost faith in this mechanic due to this and other oversights that where costing me money needlessly,and have since picked up my ski and decided to continue on my own. So here I am.

*NOTE* I also had mechanic install an oil pump block off kit when he re-assembled motor, as I _THOUGHT_ I had read on SBT site that it is better to run pre-mix. I have since read what looks to be the opposite.

*Also note* While removing exhaust (following SBT motor swap manual) I found that there is a sensor missing. It is the one that goes into exhaust after the (?)catalytic converter. It's the one that is 'up high' and has a black connector at electric hookup.

So, that said I have exhaust and air intake back out of ski and am trying to get this thing running again.

Question 1
    I'm assuming I either have fuel delivery or carb issues (or both) and have removed main gas line from carbs. No gas comes squirting out when turning motor over. Don't know if it should,but figured I'd start there. I don't want to pull carbs off if there is a fuel pump issue, but I'm also wondering if it's a given that carbs need attention since saltwater went through them.

Question 2
    Should I remove oil block off and go back to oil pump? I still have the pump, would just have to re-run lines from oil tank and to carbs. How do I make sure oil pump is in working order?

Question 3
    Any idea if the sensor I am missing is the 'Thermosensor Assy' or the 'Sensor, Ext,Temp'? These arethe 2 listed on online microfiche. I'm going to guess it's the more expensive one, seems to be my luck on this ski.:-(

Sorry for the long post, but I didn't want to leave out anything that might be important. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Regards,
    Justin

Re: Motor swap nightmare on 00 XL1200LTD

The core is your old motor, not he new one.

The 'missing' sensor was most likely removed. Do you still have the cat or was it removed and a thin plate installed instead? If it was removed (recomended), the sensor goes with it.

Yes you can certainly pre-mix that ski, there is no problem doing so.

There is no fuel pump like you are expecting. It is sucked up by the carbs via diaphragm pumps. Turning the motor over will not 'squirt' fuel. Everything has to be assembled and the fuel lines primed to get the fuel to flow.

If the ski was sunk you certainly need to rebuild the carbs. Get three rebuild kits.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Yes, core would be the pieces I sent back. Duh.

Missing sensor-
      1. I'll have to check on whether the cat is there or not. Would that be part #53 in the microfiche diagram at http://216.37.204.206/shorts/Yamaha_...pe=13&A=80&B=8 ? If so, where do I get the "thin plate" you mentioned? SBT carry these?
      2. I would need to plug hole in exhaust where sensor was, no? Just find bolt that threads in?

Pre-mix vs. Oil pump -
      I've been told that pre-mix is "safer" and more reliable in that you are always getting a consistent oil/fuel mix to all cylinders. It was explained to me as " #1 gets too much oil; #2 is jes' right, and #3 burns up". Have you seen evidence of this? If there is really NO difference, I'd be inclined to return to oil pump so I don't have to figure out (read: ask you yet another question) how to make the "Low oil" warning go away. Can you just make up my mind for me so I can move on? :-)

Gotcha on the fuel pump, or lack thereof rather. Will move on to carbs. By chance is there documentation or video on SBT site that shows steps for this once I have parts? Or perhaps a particular repair manual you would recommend?

Thanks for the quick reply.

BTW, I ain't trying to kiss a#! or nothing, but I think it needs to be said. I, as well I'm sure others on these forums are, appreciate companies such as SBT that take the extra steps in helping customers. That along with your quality products keeps us coming back! Thanks.

Comment

Missing Sensor-
        I pulled apart exhaust and I think I answered my own question. Referenceing my last post on this I have removed part #53 and just need a plate I guess. Can I just cut the cat 'element' away from the ring, grind edges smooth and reinstall?

Comment

No you can not just install the cat housing. You need a D Plate and sensor spoof. Get it from Riva, Pro-Tec or your local dealer can order it - it's a kit.

These are the normal parts the ski came with everywhere but the US, for emmisions. The cat however was a terrible design that failed very early. Replacement is manditory.

Pre-mix or oil pump is your choice. There is no performance problem with either, and whoever told you otherwise is full of it. You will simply see more smoke and use more oil going pre-mix. Oil pumps can fail, and more commonly there are problems with the lines. Any problem such as those will kill the engine, where pre-mix is yes, safer.

Yes we have carb rebuild guides and videos in the tech articles/videos sections. There's also a pre-mix article you should read.

Splice the two sending wires together to show a full tank.

Comment

Ordering D-Plate and sensor spoof.

On the carbs, best I can determine I have Mikuni 44 mm I-Type (66E/66V) and therefore need SBT part# 35-180Y. Is that correct?

Will check out article / videos you referenced.

Will post update after I get parts on and _hopefully_ get ski running.

Thanks again.

Justin

Comment

You got it!

Comment

Working...
              X