Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to Repair/Rebuild 95 900ZXi Carbs

Greetings All,

I have a 1995 900ZXi which has been stored for five years. Before storage, the boat would fire the rear cylinder intermittantly out of a hole shot from idle then be ok after ten seconds or so. The only mod I've done is replaced the facory head with a "Cool Head."

Questions for the experts:

1. I would like to completely overhaul the carbs. What part kits will I need and are they available from SBT?

2. Can I, or somebody pre-adjust the carbs so that I can bolt-and-run?

3. Should I replace the carbs with others? I remember talk years back about the factory carbs leaving a bit to be desired.

Thank you for any help and suggestions offered!
    TurnipTruck

"I didn't just fall of the turnip truck yesterday, it was quite a while ago!"

Re: Need to Repair/Rebuild 95 900ZXi Carbs

The factory CDK2 carbs are fine, and you just need to set them to the stock settings, found in the tech article for carb settings.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Technical Support
      The factory CDK2 carbs are fine, and you just need to set them to the stock settings, found in the tech article for carb settings.
      Thank you for your timely reply. I will be ordering three of your rebuild kits on your advice that the CDK2 are good carbs.

Is there anything else that I should do to overhaul this ski that has been sitting for five years?

I've never looked at or replced the reeds. Where could I get new ones should I need them?
      TurnipTruck

Comment

Reeds don't go bad from age. Check all your lines and hoses, replace any that are hard or cracked. Completely flush the fuel system and wash the fuel tank, same with the oil. Get a new battery.

Comment

Originally posted by Technical Support
          Reeds don't go bad from age. Check all your lines and hoses, replace any that are hard or cracked. Completely flush the fuel system and wash the fuel tank, same with the oil. Get a new battery.
          What would be the proper solvent for flushing a fuel system besides fresh fuel?

Before the ski was put away, it would miss on one cylinder after an idling period. It wasn't a sputtering miss, the cylinder would run solid for a moment, stop dead for a moment and run again. It felt as if there was an on/off switch for the cylinder being flipped back and forth intermittantly. I replaced plugs, wires and caps, swapped coils around and switched out the ECM module with another ski, thinking the problem was electrical. The problem always remained and on the same cylinder. At the time I figured it was carb related, but never pursued rebuilding them.

Have you heard of such a symptom with 1995 900ZXi's?
          TurnipTruck

Comment

That's not something typical of one particular model, but certainly could be carb related, if it was running rich or had a leaking needle & seat.

Carb cleaner and fuel are good solvents.

Comment

Working...
            X