1996 Seadoo GTX Reverse / Engine Lean Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 Seadoo GTX Reverse / Engine Lean Issues

Just bought a "really" used 1996 GTX. Haven't done much with it yet.

Two questions:

1) It is very difficult to shift the unit from forward to N and then Reverse. There seems to be a mechanical stop device (hook lever) that must be disengaged prior to shifting into N and then Reverse. Is this normal, is it out of adjustment, need lubricating?? Seems a bit awkward to have to reach back and release while on the sky (almost impossible if in the water and not on the trailer).

2) Previous owner said the unit was running "lean". The dealer (he took it to) said he would have to replace the carbs or it would eventually burn up the engine?? This doesn't really make sense to me. I think I may simply put the carbs back on as they are, fill the oil tank, mix the fuel and run a tank of gas through it and see what it does. Any suggestions???????

Re: 1996 Seadoo GTX Reverse / Engine Lean Issues

Originally posted by wgreeso
    Just bought a "really" used 1996 GTX. Haven't done much with it yet.

Two questions:

1) It is very difficult to shift the unit from forward to N and then Reverse. There seems to be a mechanical stop device (hook lever) that must be disengaged prior to shifting into N and then Reverse. Is this normal, is it out of adjustment, need lubricating?? Seems a bit awkward to have to reach back and release while on the sky (almost impossible if in the water and not on the trailer).

2) Previous owner said the unit was running "lean". The dealer (he took it to) said he would have to replace the carbs or it would eventually burn up the engine?? This doesn't really make sense to me. I think I may simply put the carbs back on as they are, fill the oil tank, mix the fuel and run a tank of gas through it and see what it does. Any suggestions???????
    I have a suggestion. DO NOT RUN THE MOTOR until you clean the carbs out or rebuild them. It may cost you a new motor if you just bolt them on and go. Also, clean the fuel selector valve too, and if necessary, replace the fuel lines.

If you look closely at that reverse hood latch, it has a pin holding the aluminum block on. Is the pin in good shape? If so, you can adjust the stainless steel latch plate so it will not hang up on the aluminum latch block. By adjusting, I mean bending it. Also, the cable is adjustable if necessary.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Working...
    X