#3 Cylinder on 1994 Polaris SL-750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #3 Cylinder on 1994 Polaris SL-750

I have burned the #3 piston, I was going to simply exchange the cylinder, head, and replace piston but I heard that when you lose #3 it usually twists the crank. How can you tell if the damage is only isolated to the piston and cylinder or if it has affected the crank?

I would like to rebuild the motor myself, but not comfortable it it needs complete rebuild.

Thanks,
    Dennis.

Re: #3 Cylinder on 1994 Polaris SL-750

We recommend at least checking the crank. You can either have it checked by a crank builder or put a new pistons on and measure yourself when assembled, for twist.

At the very least take it out and check the bearings by hand before trusting it with a new top-end.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

With a new piston on what do I measure to compare or check for twist?

Comment

Put the front to TDC, the other two ned to be even with each other.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I actually removed the piston today and it didn't actually burn a hole in the #3 cylinder, the damage is actually a crack in the piston, there is no burns on the piston, the motor still turns over and #1, #2 pistons look fine.

The engine was running very good and then just died. We towed in and pulled the plugs, that is when I thought I was seeing a hole in the piston, but after actually pulling the piston it just cracked from edge to edge, there is damage to the cylinder but none that I can see to the rod. I am going to pull the engine soon and check the crank as you advised.

Would the engine just suddenly die when the piston cracked, or do I have other issues that just resulted in the cracked piston?

Comment

.....just my 2 cents here, but ?????

What's the compression on 1 and 2 ?

SBT sells a piston exchange kit (all 3). Just my opinion, but replacing just one seems like alot of work if you have to do it again. I bought a cyl exchange kit. Completely satisfied.

Pulling the engine you will have to buy a special tool or have a Polaris shop align the engine. Tool is about $155.00.

Purchase a Clymer manual. Lots of info.

Lastly....post on www.greenhulk.net for polaris stuff.

Comment

Working...
            X