96 xp motor under water, need rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 xp motor under water, need rebuild

I purchased a 96 xp last week. It turned over very slowly, and guy assured me that it just needed a new battery. When i put a new battery in, and it still turned over very slow, i pulled the plugs to see if less compression would let it turn over freely. Out shot brown murkish water, alot! I dumped what seemed like 5 gallons of water out of the engine, and started spraying fogging oil with a tablespoon of 2cycle oil in the cylinders and turning it over. Turned freely, no metal on metal sounds, but no spark to plugs. Opened the coil box, and it had several inches of standing water. I cleaned the connections and replaced the bottom sealed fuse (which was blown) and it fired right up. I put it on the hose to see if the cooling system was comprimised, and it idled fine for about 5 minutes. I then took it to the water and ran it for about 20 minutes. It would idle fine, and restart as soon as i pushed the start button, but every time I gave it throttle, it would choke out. If I feathered it slowly and got the rpms way up, it would run strong all the way to WOT. HERE is my question: what kind of rebuild do I need to do? the compression is 152 and 152, but surely the bearings and wrist pins need to be replaced. Does it sound like a carb rebuild is in order? maybe the jets are clogged? or the fuel system lines?

The guy I bought it from is going to pay 1/2 of a rebuild, but I need to figure out what I need and approximate labor. I bought it to sell, but don't want to sell somebody a ticking hand grenade.

Thanks for your help.

Re: 96 xp motor under water, need rebuild

You need a complete rebuild or new engine, carb rebuilds and whatever else you find along the way - you won't know till it's all disassembled.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

what kits can i order? should'nt the cylinders and pistons be ok if the compression is ok? i need to come up with a price to give this guy. i have ordered cylinder exchanges before and went very well (both still running)

Comment

I can't tell you, you need to disassemble to inspect. I certainly would not think the cylinders are useable given your description though. At the very least I would count on a cylinder exchange, crank and gaskets, if you are going to do it yourself. At that point though, you're better off with the engine complete, with the warranty.

Again, the first thing to do is tear it down.

Comment

OK, thanks. what kind of carb kit do I need? I am going to rebuild the carb and replace all of the fuel lines first.

Comment

http://www.sbtontheweb.com/Merchant2...tegory_Code=35

Comment

Brownish water shot out? You need a complete motor for sure. In fact, you still have rusty water inside that engine because you cannot even get all of it out by cranking it with the starter motor. The counterbalance shaft area will be full of water yet.
              Bill O'Neal <br>
              WCM
              <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Working...
              X