Replacing EMM on 2000 1100 STX DI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing EMM on 2000 1100 STX DI

I took my trouble-free 2000 1100 STX DI (75 hrs.) in to my regular Kawasaki dealership in Lakeland, FL, for annual servicing. The ski had not been used for about six months and I could not start it. It had worked fine on last use. In my experience this usually is because I have not been faithful in keeping the battery charged up off-season. After replacing the battery and spark-plugs, and performing routine service, the mechanic told me that the EMM "was going out" and had to be replaced. They coudn't start it either. I was told that a new EMM would cost about $1,400. After checking with their parts supplier, the dealership told me that that Kawasaki did not have any new modules available at the present time but that they could provide a used "rebuilt" module for $900. I am not sophisticated in these more technical (and expensive!) engine matters. Recognizing that no-one can reliably diagnose a problem like this unseen, can anyone give me a reality check on this issue? Apart from the battery and service charges, I was charged a small fee for a diagnostic fee for the diagnosis. Is it likely that this was a computer-assisted diagnosis? Could this problem be an EMM cooling problem that is reversible? Are "rebuilt" EMM's reliable? Does the typical dealer service department know how to program a replacement module properly? Are there any cheaper options than $1,400 or $900 solutions?
Working...
X