89 650sx a good first standup ski??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 650sx a good first standup ski??

Hey there, my name's Evan. I live in CT and on a local for sale site I found an 89 650SX jetski for sale. Now im 21 from about 13 to 18 or 19 we had a 110hp SeaDoo GTX (3 seater sit-down) and after my father sold that I went out and bought a SeaDoo Speedster jetboat with twin 720s in it. I love jet power. Now I ride dirtbikes, motorcycles, ATVs and whatnot but have no experience riding a standup jetski. my uncle has three, all kawi, a 550, had a 650 he sold, and a '96 750 but hes weird about stuff and they havent been used since i was about 15 when he hurt his back so i never rode any of them. Anyway. he was always a Kawi fan over the yamaha jetskis and I recall him saying the 650 was the easier of the three he had for a new rider to learn on. Is a 650sx a good ski for me to start out on in terms of standup jetskis? Is there anything specific I should look for when I go to inspect it? Im really in the dark about the specifics of standups but I do have a good ammount of experience with jetski/boat engines and balance on dirtbikes. I think the dude only wants like 500 bucks for it heres the write-up he wrote:

1989 JETSKI 650SX STANDUP PAINTED YELLOW. HAS MMF ALUMINIUM HANDLE POLE LOOKS GREAT!! HAS A BRAND NEW MOTOR (REBUILT) NEW CRANK , PISTONS , PJS MANIFOLD , OIL INJECTION BLOCK OFF, K@N FILTER, BILGE PUMP THAT NEEDS TO BE HOOKED UP, FINGER TROTTLE, EXHAUST CONE , WITH AFTERMARKET WATERBOX SOUND LIKE A CR500 ON THE WATER , FAST SKI RUNNING ON A STOCK CARB , JUST TOOK IT OUT OF STORAGE WILL CHANGE PLUGS AND PUT GAS IN IT ALSO HAS NEW DIEHARD BATTERY MOTOR ONLY HAS 2HRS ON IT OVERALL GOOD SHAPE HAS A FEW NICKS ON PAINT HAS ALOT OF MONEY PUT INTO IT IF YOU WANT IT SHIPPED I WILL HELP YOU AS MUCH AS I CAN YOU MAKE ALL THE CONTACTS IAM LOCATED 25 MILES SOUTH OF BOSTON

Any thoughts on the subject would be much abliged

Re: 89 650sx a good first standup ski??

Hello Evan:

yes the sx 650 is a great ski, i have ridden 550, 750, 800, stand-ups and lots
    couchcrafts:) , sorry fellas but i am a stand-up die hard, for stand-ups
    the 650 is the most stable hull in every fresh/or salt water condition, it's is
    easier to ride cause of hull design-slightly wider than the 750/800. but don't let
    the word easy fool you---- i raced motocross and nothing is more of a total
    body workout than hardcore stand-up riding- i don't let the ski take me around
    the lake- i ride the ski around the lake:) , been riding my ski hard since '96
    rebuilt my motor,crankshaft-trued and welded.......

things to look for check the intake grate then the prop,see if rocks have passed thru, check the top where the hood meets the handle pole- right where the handle pole mounts on the top part of the hull-not the hood,they will get stress cracks if ridden hard look closely, of course check the bottom
    of the hull for damage other than that go for it. i have beaten 750's on the top- but they get a better punch out of the hole, all in all i love my '91 sx650
    and will keep this for life, lots of aftermarket parts still out there.
    my ski can hit 50 mph- my wifes vx110 has speedo and told me i was cutting the water along side at 50=goodtimes
    also, here's alink on my '91 sx650 set-up http://server1.sbtontheweb.com/forum...ad.php?t=24869

Comment

cool thanks for the response. I might be going to check it out this afternoon. It comes with a single karavan galvinized trailer that looks to be in good condition from the pictures. Wish me luck... Hopefully it looks good :)

Comment

End up buying this ski? How did it turn out? How much did you get it for?

Comment

Luv'd my ex - 650sx- they are a blast, it takes ride time to get a good feel for what the ski can do -dont get discouraged- oh yeah relax and dont ride "tensed up" go with it. I miss my Ex.

Comment

I love my 89 js650sx, I only had one problem the first time I took it out on the lake. was running great until I got it out to the middle of the lake and then it died, wouldn't start so I had to swim it in. when I got it in there was no spark, took it home and ran the tests in the manual with a voltage meter. It pointed to the CDI/igniter. 300$+ from a dealer. found one on ebay for 20$ and replaced the voltage regulator too incase thats what made it go. the voltage regulator was 100$ at a dealer and was 30$ on ebay. runs mint now and couldn't be happier with it. You said you live in CT, do you know anywhere to ride besides highland lake in winsted? I took it out on the ocean a couple of times, that is alot more intense than a lake!

Comment

Men pee standing up correct??

So real men only ride stand ups! :-) lol

Comment

i just picked up a 1990 650sx last week, this is the first stand up i have ever ridden, it took me about 20 minutes on my first ride to stand up. it seems like its a **** good skiii! the faster you go the better!

Comment

Working...
                X