98 GP800 Oil pump shaft alignment to crank bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 GP800 Oil pump shaft alignment to crank bolt

I purchased a 98 GP800 that a dealer could never repair the root cause of mulitple engine seizure failures. I have discovered (1) the rear cylinder oil check valve is plugged (can't blow through by mouth like the front cylinder). Duh...I wonder why the rear cylinder always failed!!!!
    And (2) now the oil pump key way does not mate to the slot in the crank shaft bolt. I took a crude measurement with a mini steel rule and calculated it to be ~5mm away from even hitting the head on the bolt!!! and then it is another 3mm into the slot.

Anyone have any ideas what the predecesors have done here??? Wrong pump??
    The obvious is the new crank bolt I ordered and used, but I recalled comparing the two before I install. My plan is to pull the magneto cover and compare again.
    The engine rebuild is down and now I just have to fix the root cause for lack of lubication. I plan to run premix until I confirm the pump works properly. My plan is repair this oil injection system and use it.

Re: 98 GP800 Oil pump shaft alignment to crank bolt

Someone failed to line up the keyway and pushed it into the pump when they bolted the cover down.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Is this a common issue when assembling this engine??

If that is the case, then that would mean the oil shaft was pressed into the pump ~ 8mm. I would think that would have severly damaged the pump. I am able to rotate it and I had previously taken it apart to clean and inspect. Also, I need not see any witness marks on the shaft or any other abnormalties.

If I could find someone that carried a pump locally, I would like to compare or better yet, get a rough dimension. Length from the machined pump surface to the end of the keyed shaft so I can compare.

Comment

Assuming you haven't left anything out, like the wrong flywheel bolt is installed - the pump is the only variable. Yes it's common when someone mechanically challenged installs any engine with the pump there. Yes it ruins the pump.

Comment

I still plan to pull the front cover off and compare the new and old crank bolts to double check they are indeed the same. Looking at the pump shaft, and internal gears...I really have a hard time convincing myself it was install improperly and crushed. Time to pull the front cover and take a look at the new crank bolt!

Is there anywhere to purchase a good used pump?
          Or do you recommend I just buy new OEM?

Comment

No there is no place to buy certified used parts.

Comment

My neihbor may have a good used pump from his GP800 to sell you.I'll check with him and get back to this thread.
              Visit www.pwctoday.com for techical help

Comment

Working...
              X