1995 Sea Doo, Thru Hull Fitting or Seal Carrier and Protection Hose Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 Sea Doo, Thru Hull Fitting or Seal Carrier and Protection Hose Problem

Sea Doo runs fine, except water is coming into the hull. There are parts internally that fit over the Drive Shaft that prevent water from coming in. The protection hose portion is completly shreaded/demolished and the Seal Carrier, although it is intact, spins freely on/around the Drive Shaft.

I am wondering if there are step by step instruction on how to fix this?

The main part that appears broken is the piece that fits into the Hull preventing water from coming in and then of course a new protection hose.

Here is a picture/Sea Doo Diagram of the pieces I am talking about:

http://216.37.204.203/Seadoo_OEM/Sea...e=13&A=27&B=15

I have attached the actual picture, as you can see, it appears that the Seal Carrier should allow the drive shaft to spin while it remains stationary. I believe at some point the Seal Carrier starting spinning disintegrating the protection hose, and breaking it free from the connection to the Sea Doo Back End to prevent water from entering the hull.

I have attached a couple pictures of the actual Sea Doo / Problem.

Further Background of the Sea Doo:

I would also be interested in any sort of quick type fix as well that would allow me to test the Sea Doo. I have not had it running now for a couple years, it has blown up one motor, and then 1/2 the motor was replaced had an issue so that was replaced. So it would be great to be able to fix it, run it in the water for 1/2 an hour and see if the Sea Doo will still run and work well. This has all occurred over the past 8 years. We bought two of them together, and my buddies only issue has been a chipped impeller which he replaced, and has no other issues. So I still think this one now with basically a new motor could run superbly for a few years if I can fix the water from entering the Hull.

Thank you for the assistance, it is greatly appreciated.
    Nigel
    Attached Files
    Have a super day!

Re: 1995 Sea Doo, Thru Hull Fitting or Seal Carrier and Protection Hose Problem

Sea Doo sells a replacement thru hull fitting to fix that problem. Buy one and epoxy it into the hole.

Bill

Originally posted by nigelg
    Sea Doo runs fine, except water is coming into the hull. There are parts internally that fit over the Drive Shaft that prevent water from coming in. The protection hose portion is completly shreaded/demolished and the Seal Carrier, although it is intact, spins freely on/around the Drive Shaft.

I am wondering if there are step by step instruction on how to fix this?

The main part that appears broken is the piece that fits into the Hull preventing water from coming in and then of course a new protection hose.

Here is a picture/Sea Doo Diagram of the pieces I am talking about:

http://216.37.204.203/Seadoo_OEM/Sea...e=13&A=27&B=15

I have attached the actual picture, as you can see, it appears that the Seal Carrier should allow the drive shaft to spin while it remains stationary. I believe at some point the Seal Carrier starting spinning disintegrating the protection hose, and breaking it free from the connection to the Sea Doo Back End to prevent water from entering the hull.

I have attached a couple pictures of the actual Sea Doo / Problem.

Further Background of the Sea Doo:

I would also be interested in any sort of quick type fix as well that would allow me to test the Sea Doo. I have not had it running now for a couple years, it has blown up one motor, and then 1/2 the motor was replaced had an issue so that was replaced. So it would be great to be able to fix it, run it in the water for 1/2 an hour and see if the Sea Doo will still run and work well. This has all occurred over the past 8 years. We bought two of them together, and my buddies only issue has been a chipped impeller which he replaced, and has no other issues. So I still think this one now with basically a new motor could run superbly for a few years if I can fix the water from entering the Hull.

Thank you for the assistance, it is greatly appreciated.
    Nigel
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

I am unable to find step by step instructions for removing the pump and then the drive shaft. I believe once you get the pump off with a pump puller, then the drive shaft will just pull out, and you can use a wheelbarrow or sea doo cart to pull out the drive shaft?

I searched the technical forum hoping to find directions as I believe someone has written some up. But could not find it under through hull fitting, thru hull fitting, removing pump, etc...

Any help is appreciated.

As a side note, the two quotes I received to fix this problem were both close to $500.00, in the Seattle, WA area. They are stating 5-6 Hours of Labor to fix.

I have decided to give it a shot myself. I will post updates soon.

If someone has a step by step procedure that would be most excellent.

Thank you,
      Nigel
      Have a super day!

Comment

WOW !

That is a one to two hour job even for a novice mechanic with tools.

Remove the jetpump. Pull the driveshaft out with your hand if you can . Clean up the old thru hull fitting by cutting it even with the tunnel hole. Epoxy in the new thru hull fitting, reinstall the protection hose and the seal carrier ( which is what caused the failure, as the bearing rusted to the driveshaft and caused the seal carrier to spin with the driveshaft.
        If the driveshaft is stuck in the seal carrier, yank the shaft out using a chain and the cart method.

This job is not difficult.

You can make a pump puller with a 2x4 and two pieces of 8mm allthread rod and two nuts and flat washers. Install allthread rods into the two top nozzel bolt holes in the jetpump housing. Slide 2x4 over the all thread. Use nuts to pull the pump.

Bill

Originally posted by nigelg
        I am unable to find step by step instructions for removing the pump and then the drive shaft. I believe once you get the pump off with a pump puller, then the drive shaft will just pull out, and you can use a wheelbarrow or sea doo cart to pull out the drive shaft?

I searched the technical forum hoping to find directions as I believe someone has written some up. But could not find it under through hull fitting, thru hull fitting, removing pump, etc...

Any help is appreciated.

As a side note, the two quotes I received to fix this problem were both close to $500.00, in the Seattle, WA area. They are stating 5-6 Hours of Labor to fix.

I have decided to give it a shot myself. I will post updates soon.

If someone has a step by step procedure that would be most excellent.

Thank you,
        Nigel
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM

Comment

Thank you Bill, very good information.
          -Nigel
          Have a super day!

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I have a new replacement thru hull fitting and bought a new drive line repair kit. (SBT)

I have one question. The replacement thru hull fitting is a bit difficult to get into the hole. I am wondering if there are any tricks to seat it correctly. I can get it in about 1/4 of an inch and then it wont really go any further. Are there any tricks to seating it comfortably in. I measured it, and the ruff part, is 1.5 inches. So I figure it is meant to seat in 1.5 inches.

Any tips or tricks to get it seated correctly?

To help others, here are the parts I ordered to perform this repair. (Thank you SBT). The drive line repair kit is handy, as I dont have a press, and it has all the parts already built together, very well done SBT.

76-101A-07 Through Hull Fitting, Sea-Doo - All Except HX 1
            $23.00 $23.00
            70-101 Sea-Doo Drive Line Repair Kit - See description 1
            $58.00 $58.00

Thanks for the help,
            Nigel
            Have a super day!

Comment

They are susposed to go fully into the hole. Try tapping on it with a mallet. I have not used an SBT repair kit though. The oem kit goes fully into the thru hull hole.
              Bill O'Neal <br>
              WCM

Comment

It looks like I will be able to get it in. I am using a dremmel tool to slightly sand the hole down just a bit. The mallet is a great idea, but not enough room to get any sort of good swing. Sanding the hole just slightly will work.

Will be testing it soon. Thanks again for all the help. It is interesting to learn about PWC's. I was impressed with the design of the needle bearing.

Have a superb day, it is a magnificent day here in the Seattle Area. 70 Degrees with slight breeze.

Cheers,
                Nigel
                Have a super day!

Comment

I am contemplating doing the same job on my 94 XP. How did you get the clamps for the pto/flywheel off and on. Did you have to buy a special tool or is there another way? Any help appreciated.

Comment

Couple tips for people doing this.

1) When taking the drive shaft off, there are two rubber spaces at either end. They are most likely covered in marine grease so you may not see them very well. I did not know what these were. But it is important to put them back. If you get it stuck in the engine not straight. Ensure the end of the drive shaft is covered in Marine Grease, which is kind of a paste. Put it in the motor, and most likely the rubber spacer will stick to it, and you have it back. Place it in correctly and you are set.

2) To get the thru hull fitting into the thru hull area, I had to take a broom stick handle, or a piece of wood about that size would do. Then slide the old seal/thread bearing onto the stick inside the craft, if it is totaly destroyed like mine. (so not re-using or selling)
                    1) put handle where drive shaft should go
                    2) put thru hull fitting into thru hull
                    3) put old carrier seal, on the handle/stick, which is now through the hull
                    4) use metal screw bracket on end of the handle, tighten down, now the old seal barrier is essential locked onto the stick inside the sea doo
                    5), you can now pull back and forth from the back end of the Sea Doo with the handle/stick, and get some good torque to smack the new thru hull fitting securely into its new home
                    6) Note, if the fitting is extremely tight, you may need to take dremmel type tool to slightly widen the thru hull area. Mine I had to dremmel for a good 20 minutes or so, and then use this method. In the end I was still not totally able to get the thru hull fitting all the way in, but mostly in and this is fine, as you ahve some lee-way, with where the needle bearing fits on the drive shaft. You can always slightly trim the outer rubber protection hose that connects the thru hull fitting to the Needle Bearing. I trimmed mine about 1/4 of an inch.
                    7) of course once thru hull fitting is securely in place, then run the epoxy resin around the outside to really seal it in very well, and you are done!

Hope this helps...
                    Have a super day!

Comment

You may have to elaborate a bit? not sure what clamps you are talking about? Unless you are talking about the PTO flywheel cover? 95 just has two plastic wing type nuts, removable by hand. As far as taking the PTO off, I did not need to do that.. Once you take the two back parts off of the back. Which are the stearing mechanism and the impeller. Then you pull back on the drive shaft, and it pops right out of the engine. It has grooves in the end where it goes into the engine, and that is how it ends up turning.

The impeller when bolted on, keeps the drive shaft firmly in the engine, once removed with a couple good tugs, the drive shaft comes out of the engine. Be sure to watch for the plastic rubber spacers covered in marine grease, good to keep those, examine, and replace if damaged. There is one on either end, the impeller end and the engine end.

Hope this helps.
                      Nigel
                      Have a super day!

Comment

I guess I could make this a little more clear. There is a small black rubber boot that clamps to the to the pto on one side and to the drive shaft on the other. The clamp is not a worm gear type but a more permanent type similar to a what is used on a cv joint on a car. I don't know what the 1995 model looks like so it may not actually be the same as a 1994. Any help appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddlefoot
                          I guess I could make this a little more clear. There is a small black rubber boot that clamps to the to the pto on one side and to the drive shaft on the other. The clamp is not a worm gear type but a more permanent type similar to a what is used on a cv joint on a car. I don't know what the 1995 model looks like so it may not actually be the same as a 1994. Any help appreciated.
                          Grab it with a pair of dykes and twist and pull, it will come off. I slip the sharp edges of the dykes under the end of the tab and pinch it so the end sticks up, then I grab the end and peel it up and off the holding tabs. It comes right off.

I use plastic Tye-Wraps to replace the clamps.

What I do not like about your installation of the replacement thru hull fitting is that you did not coat the whole knurled sleeve with expoxy, and you are relying on only having epoxy at the seam at the flanged end. I hope for your sake it does not leak.
                          If I got a sleeve that fit that tightly, I would have machined it down so it slips into the oem thru hull fitting tube easily.
                          Bill O'Neal <br>
                          WCM

Comment

Thanks, I will try that. The Tye-Wrap idea makes it simple. Once again thanks for the help.

Comment

Do not pay to working from home scams

before signing up for any online paid survey scheme, check the background of the site. If the website ask you to provide your credit card number then you have to think twice. A valid online working from home does not ask for this type of information.

Comment

Working...
                              X