1200PV SBT Engine and carb settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1200PV SBT Engine and carb settings

Working on a 2001 XLT, having starting and low end fuel delivery problems. I'm rebuilding the carbs again since having major fuel issues, i think pop-off pressure is effed up to b/c didn't check it last time i rebuilt carbs, bought a tester from mikuni this time around. Anyways, last time it ran, the high jets seemed fine, topped out at 59ish on speedo, which i can live with, low end would major bog down and die though, and had to flutter throttle until i could get rpms high enough for it to kick into high and take off. What settings should i have High and Low screws to for an SBT engine, i would assume they are slightly different then stock, and about how many psi should pop off be in each carb?

Thanks,

Re: 1200PV SBT Engine and carb settings

No, settings should be the same as stock. Tech Articles, Stock Carb settings. Pop off on that should be about 55psi. Make sure your accellerator pumps are working.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

How can i be sure the accel's are working, they don't seem to be putting any gas into engine when i'm trying to start really. Should i just try to install a primer kit if i'm not certain?

Comment

You look at them while you pump the throttle. No gas = not working. A primer kit is not a replacement for pumps.

Comment

ok, darn, pop off tested 55 across the board, did a better job then i thought rebuilding, so that's not the issue, Must the accelerators be the problem? Sorry for my newbie'ness, but what all do I hook back up to take a look at the fuel accelerators, everything? Or can I leave the exhaust off, hate to put it all back together to take it apart again when I see they don't work if I don't have too. Where exactly am I going to be looking into again? And just to start planning if no one can think of anything else it could be, how do i replace and where to buy these parts?

Comment

When you go to accelerate try choking a bit, see if the issue gets better or worse. If it is worse then your bottom end is way to rich, if it gets better then the bottom end is way to lean.

Comment

If I could get it to start, I would try that. I think since it wasn't pop-off, i'll put try to find some new accelerator pumps, i've tried everything else seems like, maybe that was the root of all my problems, can't hurt to put new ones in at least, I will also put some ez-tune screws in the carbs so hopefully this is the Last time this season at least I have to tear it apart. I may even put a primer kit on it as added help if needed on starting, not sure what else I can do.

Comment

Did you do a compression check on this engine? If this motor will not start by a primer, then you have other issues with it.

Comment

Working...
                X