gtx new engine still wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gtx new engine still wont start

So this is apparently a common problem, yet i havent found the correct answer. I put in a new sbt engine, and the engine turns over fine but wont start. I know i have spark. the plugs have fluid on them after cranking. It smells like gas and some is kinda dark like oil. I got a service manual for this ski. I have double checked the timing on the rotary valve cover. I know i have set the magneto cup on correctly. The engine has compression enough to push my fingers off, i have not yet checked it with a compression tool, dont have one handy yet and i figured its a new engine it shouldnt be bad. the ski has been sitting for about two weeks now, with the new engine, and i put the pre mix oil in the gas tank thinking it would start back then, would this settle and then the "gas" getting to the piston chamber is more oil then gas?? At this point i am at my ends wit, and am just hoping that its not the computer. Any help would make my week. Im sure its something simple that i probably just over looked. Thank you for any help. Oh the ski is a 97 sea doo gtx.

Re: gtx new engine still wont start

http://www.sbtontheweb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13973

Pay close attention to the battery.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

i have been keeping the battery on a trickle charge when not trying to start it. The battery is only about month old, and i have been checked it with a volt meter and it reads fine. any other ideas to check? thanks for the quick reply and the advice.

Comment

'Fine' doesn't work for diagnosis. What exact voltages do you get sitting and while cranking?

If you have fuel and compression, all you need is spark while cranking to ignite. Obviously one of the three isn't there. You can't check spark while cranking and have said the other two are OK, so I have to take your word. Even if you had a rotary valve and/or magneto timing problem it would do something, if you had spark.

The whole point is, if your battery is not good, the ignition module shuts off.

Comment

Ill check the exact voltage tomorrow after work. I know i have spark because i have taken the spark plugs out and grounded them then cranked the engine, the spark looks strong. but i guess it might be weak. This is why ive been so lost, because it seems like i have all three i need, yet it wont run. Its good to know that it should do something even if the timing was off a bit. Thanks again for the help, im getting tired of beating my head against the wall.

Comment

Plugs out=no load=not checking for true spark. That just tells you everything is connected. Leaving the plugs in and using a spark tester - now that's a different story, but no one does that nor do they really need to, if you just go through the regular steps like battery voltage.

13.2 sitting is a good fully charged battery. Below 12.5 while cranking=bad battery and no ignition. It's easy to kill a battery so it being 1 month old is irrelavent. It may be good but you have to check to know.

Comment

Just checked the battery, sitting it reads 13.06 and while cranking it drops down to 11.56 volts. So is the battery bad, or is there something else (like starter) drawing too much volts from it to leave enough for the spark plugs? If it is the battery is there a better battery for it? what exactly should i look for in the battery?

Comment

As I said, bad battery. You can't go wrong with a new Yuasa from your dealer. You probably have a YB16CL-B, double check your current battery and buy the same type. Keeping it properly maintained will prolong it's life. Keep it charged.

Comment

Try pouring some fuel directly into each clyinder through the sparkplug holes. Replace sparkplugs. If you have compression, spark and correct RV timing, it will fire right up.
                  Bill O'Neal <br>
                  WCM
                  <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

No luck still. New battery followed the charging directions, and it still gives me the same readings as the last battery just over 13 while sitting and drops down to 11.5 while cranking. ive tried the gas down the cylinders but i guess i can keep trying. compression is at 150 for both cylinders. both spark plugs after cranking have gas on them, when i take them out. any more ideas or just keep trying to crank it and put gas down the spark-plug holes till it starts?

Comment

its shouldnt be the mpem or brain as some call it. are you getting the double beep when you hit the starter button i assume you are seeing that your getting spark to the plugs . try adding some mixed gas directly in the cylinders just a bit quarter ounce if that then try starting it. if it fires up then you know you got some sort of a fuel problem. if it dosnt i would re check the rotary valve timing

Comment

Im an idiot! so sorry for wasting your guys' time. A while back i had changed everything in the black box in the back since it got wet and rusted inside. well apparently somehow i managed to switch the spark plug wires. after i switched them and added gas to the cylinders it fires up and then quickly dies. so obviously the fuel is also a problem, and i realized that i am getting oil in but not enough gas, so i opened the carburetors up and then needed to be rebuilt. I think i finally have it, its close to running, and now its just time to take it to the lake and . Thanks for your help, and i really am sorry, especially when it came down to my own stupidity.

Comment

Glad you got it running :)

Comment

So i spoke too soon. Got a little too excited too quickly. It starts up fine, hits 3000 rpm's (out of the water) and just after it gets there it dies. Fires right back up but soon as it gets to its idle rpm's it dies. It just wont stay running. Did i do something wrong in rebuilding the carburetors? checked them several times. Both filters are clean and fine. Tomorrow i plan on checking all the fuel lines for blockage. Also the mag side spark plug is more oil fouled than the back one. I have the gas and pre-mix oil in for the break in of the new engine. Any ideas? You guys have been great and anything that can help me a little bit more would be awesome. thanks again.

Comment

I would be suspecting the carbs and/or fuel system. I would suggest having someone experience take a look, you'll never know you have something wrong if you don't know what to look for.

Comment

Working...
                              X