Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking Oil seal on PTO engine side

Hi SBT,
    Not sure if this is the right forum to post this question on but here goes anyway. I bought a new premium 717 engine from you guys in April of 2006 for my 2000 Sea Doo challenger jet boat which has twin 717 engines. I used it to replace the port engine and it ran well all season. I have just ordered and installed a new premium engine for the starboard side and am in the process of running it in. When I was installing this engine I noticed oil in the engine tray of the engine on the port side. Upon investigation it appears that the oil is leaking from the seal on the PTO side of the engine, it is not a lot about (5ml over a 24hr period). Can I run the engine and return it to you at the end of the season (providing the leak does not get to bad that is) or do I need to remove the engine and send it back under immediately for the warranty to be effective ?? ??

Re: Leaking Oil seal on PTO engine side

You can return it anytime, however there is no oil at that seal to leak. Wipe everything down and find the source - I would bet it's at one of your lines like at the case fittings, and it's dripping down somewhere.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response to my thread. Based on your feed back I will go back again and check the oil pipe connections. I had already checked then using a mirror and also by wrapping them in clean white paper towel. I am certain that the connections on the Rotary Valve side of the engine are not leaking as I removed the carb so that I could gain better access and found no signs of any oil. I will post again when I have re checked the remaining oil pipe connection just above the starter motor.

Comment

I re checked the PTO seal and you were spot on. After removing the exhaust pipe and manifold to gain better access I could see that the oil was collecting in the circular recess in the casting just under the oil return pipe. I have cleaned and sealed the thread of the fitting and it seems to be okay now. I will check again after using the boat this coming weekend. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction .

:beer

Comment

Working...
        X