New 900ZXI Engine Install This Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 900ZXI Engine Install This Week

Hi All - I'll be installing a new SBT engine this weekend in my '96 900ZXI. I have to replace the engine due to complete loss of compression in the aft cylinder of the old one. Removing the head confirmed damage to the piston, rings, and cylinder wall. My question is: do I need to do any additional work to prevent this from happening again? I bought the jet ski a couple of years ago, and the previous owner had just replaced the engine with a new SBT engine (I don't know if he broke it in properly or not). However, I may have also added to the deterioration, since I was frequently using starter fluid to get the engine running (for the first start of the day). I've heard that starter fluid is bad for the piston rings? I have since installed a fuel primer, so I don't need to use starter fluid anymore, but is there anything else I need to consider for this new engine install? Thanks in advance!
    :beer

Re: New 900ZXI Engine Install This Week

No one can guess what caused the failure until it's broken completely down for inspection. Your best bet is to have a local shop take a look. Beyond that take lots of detailed pics and post them at pwctoday.com
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
    X