No Throttle, Water in Engine Compartment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Throttle, Water in Engine Compartment

Just bought a used 1997 Sea Doo Challenger yesterday. Engine ran fine on the lot. In the water was much different...

1) There is some pretty heavy idling (though it doesn't sound metallic).
    2) There might be a couple tears in the coupling in the exhaust, might be the source of the water in the engine compartment.
    3) Some stalling.
    4) The big one... no throttle! I get in the water, get the engine started, give it throttle but the engine doesn't get over 1500 - 2000 rpms. So we were just chugging along and finally gave up and came back in (the water in the engine compartment was enough to go back).

It isn't 'bogging' with more throttle, it just isn't increasing at all.

It is almost as if the throttle cable isn't attached, carb is stuck, fuel supply is limited, and/or bad plugs.

Going to start with plugs, fuel filter, and exhaust coupling.

What else could the problem be?

Thanks. Sean.

Re: No Throttle, Water in Engine Compartment

When is the last time the carbs were rebuilt? If you don't know when, that would be the first thing I would do. You'll be buying a new engine if you continue to run it while starving for fuel.

Chris

Comment

Thanks for the advice to look at the carb.

How can I tell which Rotax engine I have in there? 787?

The spark plugs are shot, so I replaced (they were all black from the sticking carb which caused the engine to run rich).

The engine compartment was nasty, so I cleaned it out.

The last thing to do now is clean/ rebuild the carburetor!

The previous owner used a zip-tie and a spring to force the throttle to return back because it was sticking so bad. Without the spring, the throttle would open up and stay open (not a good thing).

But under load, that zip and spring just couldn't move the sticking carb, so it didn't really do anything. Now that I know, I can feel the resistance on the throttle go away 1/4 of the way up, and it doesn't come back. Basically, 3/4 of the throttle is a deadzone.

Got some carb cleaner so I will try cleaning it out first.

How can I tell which Rotax engine I have in there? 787?

Picture of spring is attached for your enjoyment!

Thanks. Sean.
      Attached Files

Comment

I believe it's a 787, but not positive. Your best bet at this point is to take the carbs off and completely rebuild them with rebuild kits from SBT or Dealer using SBTs rebuild guide http://shopsbt.com/pdfs/mikunisbn.pdf . Make sure your gas shut off flows properly also. Do this B4 you do anything else.

Chris

Comment

and check the compression of the motor !!!!

Comment

Working...
          X