Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

97 Yamaha 1100 PTO coupler alignment how perfect should it be????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 Yamaha 1100 PTO coupler alignment how perfect should it be????

Hello all, I am in the midst of installing a new motor in my Wave Venture and I re-used the motor mount shims in the same place I removed them from and I've noted about a 16th of an inch or so difference between the PTO couplers when I check it with a straight edge. How perfect should it be? One side is perfect then when I rotate it, it seems just a bit off? Hmmmm, what do ya think????

Thanks,
    Mark
    Last edited by skuits; 06-19-2007, 02:18 AM.
    Remember, if you do what you always did you get what you always got!

Re: 97 Yamaha 1100 PTO coupler alignment how perfect should it be????

Putting them back in the same place is not alrays right - that's the whole point of the alignment procedure. You need to shim it correctly to line up - it needs to be as perfect as possible.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, I thought the shims were for the hull, that is to correct for any differences that may be from the mould? I assume the function of the rubber is to allow for some slight difference, is this true? Any idea how much of a difference it can tolerate?

I took the shims out and didn't get much different results, one side is great and the other slightly different.

Thanks,
      Mark

Comment

No that's not correct at all.

Watch our video http://www.sbtontheweb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12009

Comment

Thanks for the video, although it didn't answer my questions or show any detail on the alignment, just that it should be correct. I understand that the alignment is critical and I don't have an obvious mis-alignment issue (I think), in fact visually it looks perfect. When I use the straight edge I feel as if there's a slight space I can rock the ruler on, 1/16 of an inch or less only on one side.

A side note, I had to replace the crankshaft coupler because I damaged the original when I removed it, and the new one is a different color and seems slightly different.? This seems to be complicating my assessment of the alignment!

Can you provide some more clarity on the allowed tolerance? What sort of issue will I experience if I am off slightly, vibration, obliteration?

This procedure doesn't seem to me as exact, that is one man's opinion may differ from anothers. I just don't have the experience doing this to know if I am within the allowed range, I realize that forum posts make it a bit difficult to assess these types of things. :)

Thanks again,
          Mark

Comment

The video clearly shows how to measure and how to shim to correct.

I don't know about your coupler situation, I'm not there to see it. If it's not like your original of course you will need to make adjustments to the procedure. Measuring the gaps between fingers eliminates the difference.

There is no official tolerance - you simply get it as close as possible.

If in doubt run it to a local dealer for a look.

Comment

Here's the best photos I could get of the coupler, I feel that in some areas it's perfect and then in one area there's a slight difference, what do you think?

Just for clarity I am working on a Yamaha coupler and the video only shows about 30 seconds on that issue, and in my opinion doesn't provide anymore clarity than the included instruction manual that came with the motor.

So what sort of running experience could I expect to get if the coupler is slightly off? Vibration?

Thanks again,
              Mark
              Attached Files

Comment

I think that's just fine.

Comment

Thanks for your help, I was hoping the same thing!

Would vibration be the effect of a mis-alingment?

Thanks,
                  Mark

Comment

It can be but not from yours, it's fine - go ride it.

Comment

Working...
                    X