1995 Seadoo GTX will not start easily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 Seadoo GTX will not start easily

I have a 95 GTX in which I just installed a SBT 657X rebuilt engine in. It ran fine for the first three times I went out, but now it is extremely hard to start the engine. It has gotten so bad that it takes about 20 times before the engine starts. When the engine does start, it runs fine when out on the water, but will not idle. If I let the throttle off, the engine will just die once it drops to the lower rpms. Once that happens, it takes about 20 times before the engine will start again. I now have stopped even trying to start it as I am afraid I will do more damage to the seadoo.

I am not sure where to start looking for the problem, so does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks...

Re: 1995 Seadoo GTX will not start easily

What caused the original engine to fail and what repairs were made other than just swapping the block? What is your compression right now?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

The original engine failed due to a piston circlip falling out of place and doing significant damage to my internals. I purchased a rebuilt shortblock from SBT last year and installed it myself. It ran fine each time I took it out last year. I then winterized the Seadoo for the winter, but when I went to start the Seadoo back up in the spring, it would not start. I cleaned out the carbs, swapped the battery and replaced the fuel and the Seadoo worked fine the next two times I went out on the water.

The third time I took it out, it began having the issue I listed below. I just did a compression test and I get 136 on one cylinder, and 138 on the other, but I started to notice that my plugs are beginning to look a little dark (carbon desposits or something like that) and do not know if this is related to the issue I described.

Other than this, I have not made any other repairs to the Seadoo.

Comment

Any thoughts?

I greatly appreciate any help someone could give me.

Comment

No one?

I really need help with this!

Comment

do you have a repair manual for your PWC. Look for the adjust for the oil pump. see if your are getting the right amount of fuel oil mix. If in quest mix your oil in the fuel and see if it runs better. Next check to see if your water intake filter is clogged, should have a screen in a clear cylinder attached to the water line. The other is making sure you use the approriate oil for your engine. 2 stroke motor oil for a lawn mower is cheaper but not the same.

Comment

Working...
            X