Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How bad is this mistake - mixed regular and synthetic oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How bad is this mistake - mixed regular and synthetic oil?

:emoticonc This winter I bought a used 1999 SeaDoo GSX LTD. Took it out for the first time this weekend. When it was time to refill the oil, I used what our neighbor had which was Bombardier Rotax injection oil. Ski still ran fine... but find out today that I should have been using the synthetic XPS oil. Now I'm stuck... I've put probably 8 hours on the ski with the wrong oil in it. Should I drain the remaining rotax injection oil and fill up with synthetic or should I just put synthetic back in and mix with the the rotax injection oil? I've heard you should not mix oils, but I've also read people who indicate it's no problem.

I called the previous owner and he used synthetic (always).

Lastly, if there is damage due to mixing oils (as I've done) what should I look for?

Thanks,
    Snooger

Re: How bad is this mistake - mixed regular and synthetic oil?

Drain the tank as much as you can and refill, the damage is done, if any. The 951 requires synthetic due to it's heat and stress. The Bombardier mineral oil is good, but would'nt support a 951 for much longer.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Wow... that was fast! Thanks for the response.

What kind of damage (or symptoms of damage) should I be looking for? Next opportunity I have to ski is 3 weeks from now where I'll be driving 10 hours up and 10 hours back (and staying for a week). I'd hate to get up there and sit with a bum ski all week if I can do something to check it out now.

I appreciate the advice

Comment

It's nothing you can detect without tearing the motor down. You can either ride it till it blows (don't ask when I have no crystal ball) or tear the motor down. Bearing failure would be the first on my list to look for but there are too many variables to guess if you need to be concerned.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I appreciate the advice. My bad :(. I'll know better next time. Hopefully nothing will come of it and I'll ski the week away and not have to be towed off the lake by my pre-teen niece. Ouch!

Comment

Still looking through the threads trying to understand the options I have. It appears that potentially tearing down the motor now (before the bearings fail) may be in order to ensure I don't run into a catastrophic failure which could cost a lot more money. Would this be your advice or should I just run it and hope I didn't screw anything up? Also, how much should it cost to tear it down?

I just joined this board and I am amazed with how much information is on here. I have a lot to learn about this new hobby.

Thanks!

Comment

Well, the ski lasted about another week... I believe I blew the engine this weekend. Out running fine then all of a sudden the engine labored and stopped. Tried to start it and just got a metalic "clink" sound. Brought it out of the water, pulled the plugs and tried to turn the drive shaft by hand just a little and I hear a "clink" in the engine as it comes around. So, what is the definitive test of a blown engine?

Comment

Originally posted by snooger
                Well, the ski lasted about another week... I believe I blew the engine this weekend. Out running fine then all of a sudden the engine labored and stopped. Tried to start it and just got a metalic "clink" sound. Brought it out of the water, pulled the plugs and tried to turn the drive shaft by hand just a little and I hear a "clink" in the engine as it comes around. So, what is the definitive test of a blown engine?
                I'd start with a compression test.
                1996 Sea-Doo HX (Owner)
                1996 Sea-Doo GTX (Surrogate Owner)

Comment

Originally posted by JPX
                  I'd start with a compression test.
                  If the motor dose not turn over, theres no way to check compression

Comment

Yep, plugs are pulled and can't even turn by hand. Not a good thing. I've read a lot of good things about the SBT rebuilts here. If the engine is blown, I will likely try my hand at replacing it (wouldn't hurt to learn). Seems like it is not that uncommon.

Comment

Working...
                    X