97 GSX 787 Carb Jet Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 GSX 787 Carb Jet Issue

Just finished resurrecting a 97 GSX with a 787. Ski was completely apart, and mostly parted out when I got it. It has been bored 1mm over (800cc displacement, now), with stock exhaust, intake, etc, with a Solas 15/23 impeller. Only other change is the use of carbs from an XP787, with the integrated accelerator pump. When I am running in the water (lake at 3300'), and go to WOT, it will run sluggishly at 5200rpm. If it hits a wave where it can unload the engine, it will suddenly jump to 64-6500rpm, and really zip along. Let off the throttle, and hit it again, and same issue, sits at 5200. Sometimes I can drop the throttle completely, and hit it again, and it will clear up, and go. Other times, if I hold it at WOT long enough (ie, 30-60 seconds), it might clear out on it's own, and go. Low speed adjusters are set at one full turn from closed. High speed adjusters are at 1/4 turn from closed. High speed adjusters are pretty hard to get at in the water, so I did not fiddle with them. I did close the low speed adjusters as much as 1/2 turn from closed, and it did seem to help with the WOT problem, but presented other 'driveability' issues, so I returned them to 1 turn. I think the engine is way too rich. Not sure if the high speed adjusters are what I need to adjust, or do I need a jet size change. I did not disassemble the carbs when I got them, so I do not know what main jet size is in them. They did come from a boat in Florida (sea level), if that helps. I run this ski at one lake, 3300', and another at 6000'. The head has not been milled. Any suggestions would be most helpful. Thanks!

Re: 97 GSX 787 Carb Jet Issue

Bump! Any experts have any suggestions, or possible jet size changes? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
    X