2000 XP out of control. Please read.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 XP out of control. Please read.

So I bought a 2000 XP-L about a month ago and the seller told me it had a high idle. When started out of water it idles high (about 1500), but when started in water it idles normal for about a minute then idles at about 2200rpm. Other than that it runs perfect. Now it gets scary.

I pulled the ski out of the water onto my trailer. I always start it for about 5 seconds and blip the throttle to get the water and crud out. I started it and it idled way higher than normal (about 4k). I killed it and then started it again. I blipped the throttle once and the ski went wide open (about 7k). I yanked the lanyard and nothing, it kept running wide open. I put the lanyard on again and pulled it... still running wide open. I turned the gas to off and nothing. I then panicked and pulled the hook and yanked the spark plug wires AND IT STILL KEPT RUNNING WIDE OPEN! After a couple more seconds I hit the throttle again and it killed. I don't know if it finally ran out of gas or what. This whole ordeal probably lasted 20-30 seconds.

I've been too afraid to restart it. Any ideas? How in the heck did it keep running with no spark? Could the compression have been high enough that it was dieseling?

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Re: 2000 XP out of control. Please read.

don't start it until you find the air leak or why its running so lean, grabbing more throttle adds enough fuel to cool off what ever is running hot enough to ignite fuel or pull the choke
    be good,
    if you cant be good,
    be carefull
    if you can't be carefull,
    buy a pram

Comment

Any idea where/how I should go about finding the air leak? Any guesses on what it would cost to have a shop do this?

Comment

Matt,

I had the same problem with my ski. First i would loosen up the throttle cable at the carbs until you have slack in the cable. The slightest tension on the cable will cause the Idle to run off. That is what ended up being wrong with mine after i spent countless hours of trying to find an airleak. If you leave the ski on the trailer strapped down, back it into the water. If you start it, it will not idle at 7k because it will be under a load. if it still idles high then u have an air leak somewhere or your carbs need to be rebuilt. You can narrow down which carb it is by pulling off one plug wire at a time and start it the carb that still idles hi is the one with the leak. if you spray carb cleaner on the carbs if it has a leak it will make it run iritic or bog down. You might want to spray it on the pulse line that goes from the carbs to the engine block.
        you might get lucky and find the cable is to tight. I would start there!!
        good luck

Comment

Working...
        X