2003 Sea Doo 4Tec BURNING OIL! ..Fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 Sea Doo 4Tec BURNING OIL! ..Fast

I know this is easy going to be easy to answer, or very difficult, but I'll post the question anyway.

My cousin has a 2003 SeaDoo 4tec (the big 3-seater). Let me also just say that since day 1, he has gone above and beyond "by the book" maintenance. This guy is so maticuleous it should be a sin! Stored in-door heated in the winter (Michigan). Oil changed above regular intervals (always uses the overpriced Rotax synthentic stuff).

Last summer, while riding, the engine stopped. He got is started but it was making bad noises. Towed it home. Took it to the local authroized SeaDoo repair shop. They looked at it, and said that a bolt on the connecting rod had "backed out" and basically, the thing self destructed.

At this point, it was out of warranty, but due to the nature of the problem (being a manuracturer defect) SeaDoo kicked in some new parts, but it still cost my cousin $3500 to get it fixed, and it burned up the rest of last summer.

Unfortunately, since we live in Michigan, the warranty period for the rebuilt engine had already lapsed! (how ironic). When he used it this spring, the check engine light comes on at least once an hour (and cuts back speed), but when he restarts its OK.

Finally, last week, we decided to check his oil (after only 3 hours of riding), the stick was bone-dry. It took 1.5 quarts to fill back up. We went out for another hour the next week, check the oil, and it was almost a quart low, after only one hour.

So, my question is.. Where do you think this is going to take him? New engine? Valve repair? Rings (although the head, pistons, rings, and shaft were supposed to be repaird by the shop) Oh yeah, one final note: The repair shop is now "out of business".

Sorry for the long story, but he is desperate for help, having paid 11K for the ski new, and another 3500 to fix it and it looks like he owns a 15K piece of Sea"DOO"

Thanks for any advice..

-rybad
Working...
X