Hard Starting After Carb rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Starting After Carb rebuild

Im having a real hard time starting my challenger 800 ,it floods when I first start it and when i shut it off, It runs perfect after its running , it idles fine, and reaches 6700 at wot ,you can turn it off wait a minute or 2 and hit the start button and it fires right back up, this only happens when you let it sit for a while, i put everything new in the carbs from sbt, except needles and seats they didnt have any signs of wear on them and they were real clean so i left them alone,i didnt touch any of the jets so every setting is exactly the same! it used to start fine before i rebuilt them, it just had a bogging at mid throttle does anyone have any ideas on what i should do, im not shure why gaskets and diaphrams would change things, thanks....Shawn
    Attached Files

Re: Hard Starting After Carb rebuild

#1 you didn't do a proper rebuild because you didn't change N&S or test with a pop-off pressure gauge.

#2 Since you didn't have a gauge you also shouldn't have changed springs. Your pressure is now too low. Put the stock springs back in and change the N&S, or get a gauge and possible N&S then as well.

You can't do a partial rebuild.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Yes your right i didnt have a guage and i will take your advice and do a pop off test thanks, however i value this site because its given me lots of helpful knowledge, and ive helped others, but in your Mikuni Carburetor Rebuild SBN Series step 2.6 It States Inspect the needle and seat. The needle should have a smooth edge with no signs of wear, or grooving, IF present replace needle and seat combo, I used all the rebuilt parts you guys supplied, and followed every step, step by step except the pop off test, I think someone should revise the rebuild guide, stating to install new needle and seats when usuing our rebuild parts to ensure a proper rebuild. ill take the fall for the pop off test but, but dont get me wrong im here to get advice,,You could of just said go back and do step 3.4 of our guide and that will help you, again thanks i hope im not to harsh,,just really frustrated

Comment

Sir, a pop-off test, as you mentioned you skipped, is part of the rebuild - and part of testing the N&S. The N&S can look fine and still leak. The visual test is simply an obvious way to tell it needs replacement. It can also test well on the gauge and popoff correctly for a while even with a groove. You incorrectly assume it's one or the other as far as testing.

I'm sorry you are frustrated. The guide is correct if you follow it completely.

Comment

I appreciate everything, your advice is great,thanks again,One more question Where can i get a pop off tester??

Comment

From any dealer.

Comment

Working...
            X