Is it the bendix or starter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it the bendix or starter?

Just bought a used 97 Monte Carlo 770. The guy told me it needs a new starter. When you hit the starter it spins pretty well but doesn't engage the engine. He said he was able to bang on the starter to get it to engage a few times but I haven't been able to do so. I pulled out the starter, it spins without much effort. I can also turn the gear in the hole that the starter fits into very easily (is that the bendix?) I cleaned all the connections and put the starter back on but no change. I have been told that the starter motor may be good but the solenoid is bad. Is that feasible? Is it worth the time/$$ to replace the starter or just have the bendix replaced? The battery is pretty new and I did charge it. Any suggestions appreciated.

Re: Is it the bendix or starter?

Yes the bendix.
    Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

I soaked it in some wd40 overnight and put it back in, seems to be working just fine now. I'll probably replace it this winter though. Thanks!

Comment

For the price of a new starter just to you closest auto parts (Advanced auto, Western Auto, Autozone) and pick up a new or reconditioned one cheap and put it in and down the road you go. Oh ya, Pay for the lifetime guarantee so the next time this happens just return for a free one.

Comment

Working...
        X